Monday, August 18, 2014

Lake Life vs Backyard Bliss!


I wrote this blog post on August 18th… hours before I lost my dear father-in-law, Greg, due to complications following a surgery he had that day, so therefore chose not to post this to Facebook until today… 

The photos and news in this post were our life events leading up to this past week before we anticipated the turn of events that proceeded. 

I want to thank everyone for their love and support during this past week of loss, Greg, was the best father-in-law I could have asked for… he will be sadly missed but fondly remembered by all who knew him.

Next week I hope to do my blog as a  
"Tribute to GREG".

  

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
-Annonymous



"Just living is not enough…one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
-Hans Christian Andersen


Here are Brian and I at the lake and in our own backyard…
both places make me smile…and the sun was shining brightly for both
of these pictures, too!

This is my friend Margo's backyard… I was invited there last Monday.
Her yard is filled with lots of bliss…and beautiful flowers, birds, and
her cute doggie, Lexi, too… we had a fabulous visit, as well.

A few shots from our little Waskesiu adventures last week.
Unfortunaltey the ice-cream outing photos were taken in the
evening and were dark and blurry… but the ice cream was yummy!

It was fun to watch the family loving their little vacay on the beach.

Standing by Jana makes me feel short!!!… She once looked up to me,
and now I look up to her!
I love the pics of the kids and their surf boards,
which they enjoyed so much!

Sunshine,… siblings, sand, surfing, swimsuits, and sundresses!

It became a bit overcast and windy the day we took the boat out,
but we did manage a quick little spin around the lake once while we were there.
Nels drove and we all enjoyed the view!

Brian and I took the kids for popsicles …
Brian ended up buying the kids each a surf board too.
He is such a softie and loves to spoil those grandkids… but they really
did get lots of fun and use out of their surf boards…
Mariah picked a dolphin one, and Beau got a shark one!

From yummy lattes to happy hours and everything between…
we did have some good family fun.

The kids were in their glory whether having a relaxing meal on the deck at the lake,
out for some sight seeing, or surfing or biking… fun fun times were had!

Brian and I enjoyed a fine dining experience at this fancy restaurant,
which is owned and run by one of Colin's buddys … Evan.
You'll notice it was more about presentation than amount of food!!!
We did enjoy our evening there and the food was tasty.

Brian and I stayed our two nights at this little cabin at Lost Creek.
they had a hot tub… but we chose to just have the kids for a jet tub!
Beau loved the bubbles and water shooting up all over our bathroom!!!

I was excited to see some red vine ripened tomatoes on our little tomato
plant on our deck when we returned home from the lake…
and these were extra yummy ones, too!

Shuffle was happy to have us back out on the deck again after she spent two days
at doggie daycare. I am loving the tomato sandwiches on our deck too.
Saturday morning after the gym, I went to my good friend, Ella's for
coffee in her beautiful back yard… her flowers are particularly lovely.

Saturdy night we had a nice evening out for dinner with good friends
Joan and Gerry at Mano's. It was a little cool to sit out that night
but we enjoyed our meal and great visit inside…
dessert was especially yummy!



Today I decided to bring the computer right out on the deck to write this edition of my blog… so I am writing it right from the bliss of my own backyard!


I am such a home body so I do love the comfort of my own home and yard…and the yard is cozy with our trees and plants and the deck is comfy to sit on… 

so I am in my happy place right here!


Last week we did escape the city life and go to Waskesiu Lake for a couple days where our family was on a little vacay. I have childhood memories of going there when I was a kid and then more memories of taking our kids there when they were small and now the tradition continues as our grandkids go there each summer. But none the less I have always preferred city life to lake life… maybe due to the fact we did not travel much when I was growing up and I learned from early on to just appreciate my own surroundings!


We did enjoy seeing how much fun the grandkids were having though, and they couldn't have asked for a nicer week weather wise. They spent most of their days at the beach just enjoying the sand and water. They also used our family boat a few times, too, but the afternoon we chose to go on it… the weather turned sort of overcast and windy and even had a few drops of rain for the short time we were out .

This past week has been a week of reflections of people up in heaven. Last Monday we remembered my brother in law, Bruce on his one year anniversary of his passing. That same day the world was saddened to hear of the loss of the legendary, Robin Williams.  The next day legend, Lauren Becall also passed away. On the 14th of August, I recalled the 3rd anniversary of my dear Aunt Frances. Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of our dear friend, Jaime, who sadly died at the young age of 15.


When looking up to the sunshine,  I can't help but feel extra love and warmth from the losses of our special 

and dear loved ones.


Later this week my nephew Sam will turn 25 on the 22nd. Mom and Dad would have had their Wedding Anniversary on the 24th of August… they were married in 1949.


Summertime has reflections of many kinds… I used to always teach a little dance summer school in Lanigan back in the 90's…and it is still going strong. This year's camp began there today. I remember all the fun I had teaching at it back in the day and made some of my best pals there.
I am reminded how Jana was only 9 when I taught my first one there… and now her daughter, Mariah, who is 8 is at a camp, too. Her camp is not a dance one, but at the lake and she will be there all week with a little buddy of hers.
I hope they have a blast!


I am keeping my hopes high that all goes well for my father in law, Greg, who fell and broke his hip on the weekend.
He is in surgery as I type this blog post. I have been praying for him all day…


* Unfortunately he did pass away due to complications, only hours after I wrote this post but he will live on in our hearts forever.*


Soon it will be time to return to routine again when school starts up in the fall… and lake and deck life will be behind us again… so for now I am enjoying every minute of time outside I can while the weather is sunny!


On that note… here is my little rhyme of the day…

The lake is nice for a day or two,
But more than that is a lot for me to do!
I enjoy the sunshine out on my own deck,
It's bright and cheerful and comfy as heck!
When sitting on the beach, it's fun to see,
My grandkids just as happy as can be.
But given the choice, I'm happiest at home,
I love my own yard, and don't need to rome.
Summer time is best under the sun,
Where ever we are sun makes it more fun.
So whether on the deck or the grass or the sand,
When the sun is shining, my life is grand.
And given a choice, my choice would be this…
To be in my own yard in my life filled with bliss!
Reflecting on days that are good, makes me glad,
And loving the sunshine and memories we've had.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, poignant, fun, sad - your life was a whirlwind of all that and more. No matter what you keep looking up and clinging to the positive. Way to go, Diane. Great poem and photos!

    ReplyDelete