Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Many STAGES through the AGES!

"Life isn't about how high you can kick, 
it's about who is kicking with you."
-Zen to Zany

"Stages of life are different in terms of desires, 
hopes and fortunes."
-Author Unknown

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. 
It's the life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln

My Grand daughter crossed her first stage as a competitor
in Regina this past weekend… at the CANDANCE Competition.
She won GOLD in her Ballet and Tap groups (in photos)
as well as in her Jazz group (no photo!)


My daughter Jana… did her first dance competition
in 1988… and she received a mark of 90 for her
Musical Theatre/ Tap Large group
called "Marching Up Broadway"

Also in 1988… Jana and I did our second mother daughter duo in
our year end recital to a song called "BOSOM BUDDIES"
… and we have been Bosom Buddies all our life
through the many stages we've been across and through!

Jana performed and competed in the very first ever
CANDANCE Dance Competition in 1996 in Calgary…
here she is 18 years later with her daughter Mariah
dancing in her first competition…
Also a CANDANCE one…this time in Regina…
now there are many CANDANCE competitions across Canada.
Beau is on the fly out front…  the dance competition stage
is not his thing just yet!

Beau playing cars at the dance competition on the weekend.
He wasn't as into the dancing as his gramme, mommy and sister were!!!

Here is Jana for a little visit with her dad last Tuesday…
dealing with a different STAGE…
(stage 4!)

Brian and our good friend, Robin… she popped by for a visit last week.
Soon she will be entering a new stage of her life when she gets married
on MAY 24th… and on that same day…
Mariah will turn 8 years old as well
as dance in her year end dance recital… so she will cross yet another stage!

My good dance friend, Brenda, when we met for a fun lunch last week.
Brenda has crossed many stages as well…
being the dance  and baton teacher that she is.
She will be celebrating a birthday in a couple days…
so will be entering a new age for her as well!

I spent the weekend with our good friends, Mike and Lynne
in Regina… we have been through many ages and stages
with them… as they were once our next door neighbours,
now we enjoy seeing them when ever we can…
and sharing  happy hours and  other  fun times!

I have been through many AGES and across and through many STAGES in my life so far! Lots of my life has revolved 
around dance, too, and so many stages!


So far I have experienced dance from many sides of the stage where I have been a spectator, a dancer, a dance teacher, a dance choreographer, a dance mom, a dance adjudicator, a dance auntie, and dance grammie, too!



Just this past weekend I was at the CANDANCE Dance Competition in Regina where my grand daughter, Mariah, COMPETED for her very first time. She danced in her 3 group numbers… her ballet, jazz and tap groups

 all received GOLD MEDALS.
I was a very PROUD GRAMMIE!!!


I am no stranger to STAGES… in fact I began dancing at the age of 4… and have been seeing all sides of the stage ever since. Although I didn't compete until I was around 10, 

I always loved to watch competitions and recitals alike.
Things have certainly changed since I began competing.
Back in the day when I started going to dance festivals and competitions… they used to play music on records…which often skipped! Then reel to reel tapes were used and cassette tapes, and in later years CDS were used for music.
Categories were much bigger often with forty to fifty entires in a category. Sometimes in solos the same dance was repeated by all… so it was a matter of who danced it best!
Also there was a first place, second place and third place given…and seldom any tie breakers. Now a days the concept is much different… with giving out a standard and a medal for all.



I loved having my own studio for 28 years… and tried to teach that it was not so much what you did… but how you did it. Teaching good skills, and technique was important, and completing levels helped to reach goals… but the bottom line was that dancers had fun while making memories to last a lifetime. It was not so much about the win… but more about the climbing the ladder along the way and improving the skills from year to year… and finding mentors to look up to while doing so.

Life itself is much like a dance … in that it is about aiming to do your best from day to day and making the most of the best and least of your worst along the way.



Sometimes in life we don't always get to pick the outcome for every lifetime event. As we age some things become easier while other things become harder. Through the ages and the stages of life… it truly is a journey every step of the way.

There are ups and downs along the way…. 
and many many twists and turns! 

I still must say I love the dance experience regardless of what side of the stage I'm on. 


I enjoyed watching Dancing With The Stars last night, too…and their tribute to DISNEY… something else so close to my heart. 
I love Disney… and have for a long time. I became even more fond of it when my daughter Jana performed for Tokyo Disney for 5 contracts … another PROUD STAGE of my life as her dance teacher and mom!

I do enjoy a chance to celebrate every stage of life… and birthdays are one of the many celebrations for doing just that…
Just this week… my good buddy and dance studio owner, Brenda will celebrate a birthday on April 17th. My father-in-law Greg will celebrate his birthday on the 18th, and my nephew Jeff will celebrate on the 26th… so Happy Birthday to all of them as they enter a new stage and age of their lives!

This weekend is Easter… another Celebration to acknowledge!…hoping we are at the "SPRING STAGE" by then… 
and not still on winter!!!
That being said… we did have our first barbecue of the season last week… when Spring tried to make a brief appearance!


I am wishing my good friend, Ella a speedy recovery as she gets over her pneumonia and shingles… I hope this is a short lived stage for her! I missed her at the gym today.


I am always sad when we say good bye to special people and they have made their final exit in the stages of life… 
Just this past Sunday my father-in-law, Greg, lost his last living sibling... his oldest sister, ANGE. She lived a very long life and was 100 years old… 
but Greg is now the only sibling living out of the
original 9 he grew up with. 


I guess the ages and stages of life cannot go forever, but while we are living we should live life to the fullest in every 
stage we are in… or on!

Even my blog writing goes through many stages… from finding a theme and photos from my past week to tie together with quotes and my little poem… which is the stage this post is at now!


In my life I've been through many ages…
Through thick and thin and through many stages.
I've seen the stage from many sides…
From front to back and across in strides!
Each age has it's pros and cons…
And also has it's offs and ons.
I can say this about every one,
Each one has rewards, and also some fun!
The older I get the more I appreciate,
The stages of life that are so great!
I've been through many, but more stages yet,
And lots from my past, I'll never forget.
Regardless of age or the stage that I'm in,
Staying upbeat makes me feel like I win!
As time goes forth and I see more stages,
I make the most of my best as I turn the pages!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment