Monday, May 4, 2015

A-MAY-ZING!

"MAY the 4th be with you!"
-Author Unknown

"If you believe you will do great things, don't be surprised by the amazing things you can do."
-Altoplayer

"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all your mistakes and weaknesses, and still thinks you're completely amazing."
-Author Unknown

  aMazing
   lOvely
 inTelligent
    Happy
  bEautiful
maRvellous
(mothers are amazing!)

Here is Mariah with her AMAZING Identity fair project on DANCE…
this took place at her school May 1st… and later that day she performed
inThe Performer… (which is what she has curlers in her hair!)

Below some AMAZING live jazz on Broadway last Thursday,
which just happened to be International Jazz Day…
and the end to April, which was JAZZ appreciation month...
I snapped this pic out of the car window  driving by!

The past 5 days I enjoyed some AMAZING dancing at a local
Dance competition called "THE PERFORMER"
I had really wanted photos of Mariah in all 3 of her costumes from the
dances she competed in… but only captured her Hip Hop !

Also got a photo of former student, Kelly, who was a teacher
with some students in this competition.
He broke his foot… but soon to get his cast off!

Jana, Nels and Beau are waiting here in the lobby of TCU place
for Mariah's final performance Saturday!!!

Above are my two AMAZING brothers…
the photo of brother Bob and me is a throw back from 2010…
but is here to honour his retirement this past weekend.

Brother Brian stopped by our house yesterday
and hadn't seen my grandkids in a while...
Beau was so happy to see him, so I got a pic of the two together!
Beau is modelling some doll sunglasses, too!!!

I liked the saying on my little MAY calendar yesterday…

"Your feet can take you in many directions,
but only your heart can tell what direction that is."
-Nishan Panwar

We had an amazing but busy day of babysitting the grandkids yesterday,
while I went to watch some dance in the morning, Brian bought the kids
new hats and treats… then in the afternoon… we had lots of activities
from basement hockey in tap shoes… to dancing in Jana's old costumes,
this basement has endless fun for the kids…and lots of mess, too!
So many AMAZING memories have taken place in this basement.

Beau and I went grocery shopping together…
then he went from being in the shopping cart basket to the little toy basket…
a little basket case!!!... he is a character!!!
He also wanted to make cupcakes, too and took the job quite seriously …
including eating way to many after they were done…
oh what a kid!

Mariah took Shuffle for a little walk…
and then created some dances
in the basement in her mom's lyrical solo costume
 from around1994!
She loves to create dances… she was so into it…
she must have been inspired by all the AMAZING
dances she saw last week at The Performer.

SWANK SHOE LOUNGE is relocating temporarily
for some new AMAZING renovations in the store.
Above is Jana and store owner partner, Melissa, with Brian from last fall.
This morning we visited the new location in the basement next door to
their current address, and already renos have begun.

Last week I got two new pairs of sandals from her store…
and I am ready for some AMAZING summer weather to begin!

In honour of MOTHER'S DAY this coming Sunday…
here are a couple of throwback MOM photos…

My mom and me at a Jazz festival about 6 or 7 years ago…
hard to believe mom has been gone nearly 5 years now…
I sure miss her.

And the picture with Jana last Mother's Day
with our SUPER MOM ice cream cake in mom's honour.
I am proud of the SUPER MOM Jana has become,
in fact in many ways she reminds me of my mom…
a very strong AMAZING woman.



I look forward to Monday-blog day…
to me it is an AMAZING day in my week,
and today we got some amazing news, too…
so even better!
As the saying goes for today a quote from Star Wars
"MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU"…
or I could say "4th"…
or even "FORTH" as we move
FORWARD on this journey of life!


This past week was truly amazing as we said good bye to April and hello to MAY!… April was Jazz Appreciation month… and the 30th was declared International JAZZ DAY.
Last Wednesday, April 29th was
International DANCE DAY…
and what better way to spend it, than to be at a
DANCE COMPETITION watching the many dance talents strut their stuff. I truly love to watch dancing … and when there is as much talent around as there is in our province,
it is so AMAZING to just be a spectator and enjoy.


The Performer Dance Competition is run by a couple of amazing young dancers from Saskatoon,
Sarah Rassmussen, who grew up competing with
Jana in her dance years…
and Shauna Engdahl. These gals put on a very classy competition very well run, too. They had an AMAZING judging  panel as well…all dance mentors I  know from my years as a dancer and teacher…
Kevin Tookey, Sally Ogden, and Susan Mensinger, shared their AMAZING knowledge, expertise and positive constructive advice with the dancers and teachers from the 16 dance studios entered in the competition.


My 8 year old grand daughter, Mariah,
 danced in 3 group numbers…
her Jazz Group called "Cha Cha Heels"
her Hip Hop Group called "Ice"
and her Character ballet group called "Grand Hotel"
Because the dancers ages are combined with the groups…
her groups all competed in the 9-11 AGE category.
She was happy to receive medals in each number.
Some competitions … all dancers receive medals for their mark standing, however this competition is one where a
1st, 2nd and 3rd placement are given in each category.
Thanks to Mariah's AMAZING teachers,
Mrs. Erickson, Mrs. Stark and Miss Danielle
for their hard work leading up this event.
I was a very proud Grandma.
Next year I hope she can compete in TAP, too!!!



I was proud on a few other levels as well…
it is now fun for me to watch dancers I once taught  who have gone on to teach dancing...sharing their knowledge with a new generation of dancers.
I also had former dancers I taught who now have their children now competing as well. Mariah actually dances with a young dancer, Jordyn, whose mom, Jennifer,
danced with Jana growing up.
Mariah also dances with a gal named Payton, who is the daughter of another dancer, Kathy, who I taught...
so a little history repeating there.
I had so wanted to capture a photo of those kids and post one with their moms back in the day…
but my thought didn't work out!!!
Mariah was funny about letting me get photos
of her in costume, for some reason!


I was so pleased that my nephew, Alec, also came to watch Mariah in her Hip Hop performance… so AMAZING of him to make the effort on his Saturday to come out
and watch her on his way to work. I know it not only meant a lot  to me, but to Mariah as well.


My good buddy, Ella, and I were able to share our enthusiasm and pride together watching The Performer.
Ella's niece, Amy, from North Battleford, performed in 11 dances total… so we were able to enjoy watching lots of AMAZING dancing together,
while watching our special relatives dance.


On Friday, my oldest brother, Bob retired from his job.
He is such a hard worker and now he will be able to devote his spare time to his hobby of golf… and enjoy his little grand daughter, Jorja … who will be 6 months tomorrow already… and soon Bob has another grand daughter to come this month as well. I know both he and his wife, Arleen, find being GRANDPARENTS just as AMAZING
 as Brian and I do with our grandkids.


I am pretty proud of Jana on her store success
of nearly 6 years. Her and her store partner and
co-owner, Melissa, are renovating their current location to make better use of the space they have for more
AMAZING shoes at their store called
SWANK SHOE LOUNGE!
They will be temporarily located in the basement
between their store and "Ten Thousand Villages"
in the basement at 141 2nd Ave. North,
while they make their store more AMAZING!


While they moved their complete contents of their store yesterday… Brian and I babysat Jana's kids.
They are pretty AMAZING kids…
but they do tire me out…
I am not going to lie!
Mariah spent much of her day watching shows she likes on the Family channel on TV… but during a spurt of energy she  took my dog, Shuffle for a walk, then made up some dances in the basement… she was inspired by the dancing she watched last week, but she always loves to dance!
Beau is bored if not entertained every minute!
So we did several things throughout the day including making cupcakes… which in hind sight seemed like a good idea at the time until he had too many and was extremely hyper for the remainder of the day. I took him for some groceries and while loading my stuff into the car, he decided to moon the people in the parking lot!!!!
He can be quite the character.
He was so excited to see my brother, Brian,
when he stopped by yesterday… it was cute.
I think it meant a lot to my brother too!
I was grateful to hubby, Brian…  for taking a shift with the kids in the morning so I could see one last morning of dancing at The Performer.
He is such an AMAZING GRANDPA!


I couldn't let this blog go by without mentioning my mom,
in view of Mother's Day coming up this Sunday.
My mom was so AMAZING… she was very interested in all 3 of her kids and took on such an enthusiastic role
for each one of us in all of our personal interests.
She was always my biggest cheerleader with all my dance passions, and loved to watch dance competitions with me always. We also shared a special bond each year at
Jazz Festival time when we would attend a lot of the free concerts in the park together. She was very quirky but fun… she was very strong minded, but she wore her heart on her sleeve always. A person always knew what she thought of things… whether it was good or bad! I love her dearly and although she has been gone nearly 5 years… she lives on in my heart and I feel her spirit with me always, especially at things like Dance and Jazz Festivals !
"Happy Mother's Day in Heaven, MOM…
 I hope it is as AMAZING as you always were to me!"
xo your loving daughter


Tonight I will look forward to all my favourite TV shows…
I do enjoy the competitive shows…
DWTS and The Voice and later in the week, American Idol.
I think there are lots of AMAZING talents
on those shows this season.

I love MAY for the warmer weather it brings
and soon we will be sitting on our deck
enjoying Happy Hours
in the great outdoors again…maybe even later today
as we celebrate the AMAZING things to come.


Congrats to the royal couple on the birth of their
AMAZING new daughter…
 CHARLOTTE ELIZABETH DIANA.

Tomorrow is "Cinco de Mayo":
which is Spanish for 5th of MAY...
so put on your "CHA CHA HEELS"
 and make it AMAZING!

On that note… here is my rhyme of the day!


A-MAY-ZING is what this month will be…
I feel it in my bones, and I can just see,
Things shaping up right from the start,
I've lots of great feelings in my heart.
MAY it be a very special month of the year,
Celebrating moms and those close and dear.
It will be amazing each and every day,
Dancing through the journey along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment