Monday, June 22, 2015

SUMMER… from SpECiAL to JaZZy!

"SUMMER
Hair gets lighter.
Skin gets darker.
Water gets warmer.
Drinks get colder.
Music gets louder.
Life gets better."
-Author Unknown

"Some people make the world more special 
by just being in it."
-Author Unknown

Jazzy-Something lively or
 suggestive of jazz.
-Dictionary


With Father's Day and the first day of Summer yesterday…
 Dear friend, Jacquie's birthday today
… and Jazz Festival beginning this week…
There is a whole lot of SPECIAL to celebrate!

 &...The SPECIAL message on the loving card from Jana to her dad!

Last week we met up with friend, Spence, for a breakfast outing at Fuddrucker's.
I love summer for little outings…
we had a trip to Broadway for sone yummy drinks… Cafe Broadway and Booster Juice.
Mariah got a hair cut after dancing ended for the season…
 We had Beau on Saturday for the day!

Sharing lunches and happy hours on patios
 is another fun thing about summer time!

Beau managed to talk us into a trip to Dollarama
on Saturday when we had him
with us for the day… He loves to get treats…
and I am the Dollarama-Gramma!

Mariah had another fun day of working at the dog adoption
with her Great Auntie Bev on Saturday and we came to visit!
Bev is such a SPECIAL auntie for the grandkids…
and has shared some pretty
special memories with both of them!

Mariah fell in love with this standard poodle who
co-incidentally is named "JAZZ"…
she even wrote a note to her parents with hopes they could adopt her.
I think her dad was on board… but not so sure about her mommy just yet!

Yesterday at Fuddruckers… we did an early celebration
of our friend, Jacquie… who has a birthday today.
Ella and I both took gifts for her to open at Breakfast!
Jacquie is such a SPECIAL lady!

I created a memory book on the computer for Jacquie
in honour of her milestone 80th birthday today…
She is such a special friend to us, and she was so grateful
for the gifts yesterday!

Here are some special FATHER'S DAY memories in honour of some
the best dads I know!
Brian and our kids way back when they were 7 and 9.
My dad and me when I was only 3 or 4!
And my father-in-law, Greg on his last Father's Day
with my grandson, Beau… just last year, June,  2014.

Fathers and grandpas are are special people in our lives…
and these 3 are some of the most special I know!

Yesterday we shared a lovely FATHER'S DAY supper out in the
sunshine on the first day of summer…
here on Nels and Jana's deck.
Jana was chatting with her brother on the phone here
when he called to wish Brian Happy Father's day.
Nels is another favourite dad we know…
We feel so lucky to have him and Jana and the grandkids
so close by too!

I asked the grandkids for a photo with their grandpa…
but only Mariah co-operated!!!
Beau was too busy playing!
I love the special name stones in their backyard…
They were gifts we gave the kids years ago.

Here are a few more examples of summer special!!!

Brian received this lovely bouquet of flowers from Jana's store partner,
Melissa in honour of Father's Day.

I saw this cute little family of ducks while out for a dog walk
yesterday in the park by our house.

The bucket of fun stuff for Nels was his father's day gift…
but I think Beau was more into it, than Nels!

And another flashback memory…
this photo of my mom, and my good buddy, Linda
and me was at the Jazz festival back in 2008.
We traditionally went together… and with the Jazz festival
starting this week, and mom's birthday next Monday
it seemed like a SPECIAL memory to share!



HAPPY SUMMER TIME …
and here's to all the SPECIAL things it brings!



Last week we noticed a guy out trimming a tree across the street from us. When we looked closer it was long time friend, Spence who now lives in BC but was in town visiting and just happened to be hired to do some yard maintenance while in town. We met him last week one day too for a catch up and visit at Fuddruckers. Spence was one of our best men at our wedding nearly 39 years ago. 
So nice to reconnect!


Yesterday was another FATHER'S DAY… and another chance to remember many special memories of the dads no longer here, as well as the ones still here with us.

I have nothing but fond and cherished memories of my dad and father-in-law, as well as the grandpas who have been gone for even longer!


Also yesterday...Brian and I went to Fuddruckers as we do most Sundays for breakfast where we shared some Birthday fun with friends…
Jacquie, Bob and Ella.


Later we were invited to Jana's for a nice Father's Day supper with her, Nels, the grandkids
and also the kid's Uncle Jens.
We enjoyed a lovely evening out on their nice deck in the evening sun of the first day of Summer!
Colin phoned while we were there, too and chatted with the family members as well…
so it was a SPECIAL day all round.


Today is our dear friend, Jacquie's 80th Milestone Birthday… and there is a party this coming Sunday to honour her… but we chose to give her gift yesterday. She was so appreciative of both the gift 

and the crafted card as well.


I love Summer time… for many reasons… one of them of course is the warmer weather. Another is the Jazz Festival both here in town as well as the one I get to attend in Montreal on our little get away.


My dog, Shuffle loves the daily walks in the park once summer is here… I enjoy those, too along with the soundtrack to life I listen to on our way.
Yesterday's walk I noticed some cute little ducklings on our way as well. Today I have Mariah here and we took Shuffle out and saw the little family of ducks
out swimming on the lake today! So cute!


Mariah loves that dancing is done for summer and she could have a hair cut. Although her hair still fits back into a pony tail… it seems special to her to get to have it cut!



We enjoy more time with the grandkids when it's summer time, too… school is nearly done and so are all the regular activities that go with the school season.


Next week we look forward to our annual trip to Montreal to see Colin and his girlfriend, Caro. We love Montreal and not only is it a beautiful city in the summer time… they have an awesome Jazz Festival which also begins this week, so I look forward to attending some 

of that while we are there, too. Their's is one of the biggest Jazz Festivals in the world.


I think of my parents when Jazz Festival time comes each year. They instilled my love of Jazz music…and we went together while they were both still living.
My mom's birthday is coming up on the 29th of June, too.
She will be celebrating her birthday in Heaven once again,
and I am quite sure she will be enjoying some chocolate cake there, too! I have so many special memories of my mom at her birthday time and jazzing it up together!



With Summer time… I will capture lots of memories for the many blog posts to come… but until then…
I will get out and enjoy the sunshine today, so
here is my rhyme of the day.


Oh I love this time of year…
With lots of special and jazz so near.
Birthdays so special, I know of a few,
Remembering dads and grandpas, too!
Trips to visit our favourite places,
Seeing old friends and special faces.
There's just so much special for us to adore…
Lots to celebrate, and Jazz it up more!






No comments:

Post a Comment