Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Always Look Up With A SMiLE!

"Be someone's else's sunshine. Be the reason someone smiles today."
-Author Unknown

"Use your smile to change the world, but don't let this world change your smile."
-Author Unknown

"Not only does a smile cost less than electricity, it also brightens your day."
-Author Unknown

Here are some photos from a couple different days at my daughter's store…
SWANK SHOE LOUNGE
Mariah with Jana's store partner, Melissa, after a fun time they shared
together on the weekend.
Jana and Beau with my great niece Jorja…
lots of sweet smiles here!

Yesterday I had many thoughts and memories of my parents,
and it was their little verses written many years ago in  my
autograph book that inspired the title for today's blog.

I often look up to the skies above smiling as I think of
what loving parents I had…and although I miss them,
I have comfort in knowing they are my angels
watching over me from above.

I love these memories of my parents.
They were married on August 24th, 1949…
so yesterday would have been their 66th Wedding Anniversary.
I love these memories of my mom and dad's special day in their life.
As you can see there were plenty of smiles on that day for them.

On Sunday night we were invited to Jana and Nels's place for supper.
We sat up on their deck over looking their hot tub… where the kids had fun
and looked up smiling many times and made sure we were watching them!

Also at Jana's on sunday… the kids played so well together
as we enjoyed visits up on the deck.
Jana and I are smiling and kind of squinting into the sun
as we shared a little cheers with a glass of wine!
I got a selfie with Jazz… but kind of cut him out of the picture!
Thanks to Jana and Nels for the yummy supper and great visit.

Earlier Sunday… Brian, Nels, and the kids took a brief stroll
on 2nd Ave to see the cool cars on display at the car show.
We discovered an A&W ROOT BEAR in the front seat of
the car in front of Jana's shoe store, too!

Once again Mariah worked at the Dog Adoption on Saturday…
she was in a kennel full of little puppies, and although she was kept busy,
she was in her glory with them !
She loves to work at the adoption whenever she can.

Who's in the dog house now?????
It's Beau-man! Last week on some of my babysitting days,
Beau got himself locked into Shuffle's Kennel…
what a kid!

More dog days of summer…
Here are the dogs, Shuffle and Jazz…and I love the dog on the August
page of my calendar… a very cute pug!!!

Saturday we were invited for an impromptu supper at
our friend, Vern's place. Our friend Ella was invited, too.
Supper was yummy… and I took over some muffins I made to
add to the dessert!

Brian and I made it out to a couple lunches last week…
one at the newly located Gibson's Fish & Chips…
as well as a lunch at  a funky little place called
Drift Sidewalk Cafe…
Both tasty meals.

We also met Brian's sisters, Bev and Brenda and some family friends at
a lunch at Earl's, too… but didn't get photos that day.

I managed to get over to BSOBAD dance studio to
update a few bulletin boards.
This little diversion to my summer schedule was
a good change of pace and creativity for me!

From one dance studio to another…
Mariah took a Ballet Boot Camp at La Danse last week…
she loved it… but was in too big a rush to let me snap a pic of her,
so I got one of her going in to the studio from behind,
when I dropped her off there last week.
I know she learned a lot… and we enjoyed her little display
at the end of the week, too.

Yesterday Brian and I had a brief outing in the afternoon,
which included buying a new hat for him…
as well as going to let Jazz out for a bit at Jana's .
Even Jazz seemed to be looking up with a smile
at Brian's new hat!
Jazz has brought so much added love and enjoyment
to our family… Brian is a proud grandpa of that dog!

On Saturday I picked up some colourful flowers at the grocery store,
and had a little cafe mocha… to add some cheer to a gloomy day outside!

Yesterday we received this delivery of a cute little edible bouquet from
Jana and Nels and the kids to SWEETEN up our day!

A bouquet of any kind adds SMILES to my day always!!!




Welcome to my blog of the week… It has been another busy one once again. Yesterday sort of ran away without me, so here I am today playing catch up on the blog.


I was sure thinking a lot of my parents yesterday on what would have been their 66th wedding anniversary. I am pretty sure they would be dancing up in heaven to their favourite tune, "Satin Doll". They loved that song and they loved to dance. They were such a great couple…not to mention the most wonderful parents and role models I could have ever asked for. I really miss them, and especially on days of special celebrations revolving around them, but there is comfort in knowing they are always watching over me from above. I have so many fond memories of them and included their little verses from my autograph book in the photos above. My dad's verse has got me through many days when things were not going great … the message in his verse is so uplifting and was the biggest inspiration for today's blog title. He always loved the colour red, and my mom loved blue… so I outlined their verses in their favourite colours.


Interestingly… my mom's sister, Phyllis and her husband, Grant, were also married on August 24th, years before my parents… so it would have been their anniversary yesterday too… My Aunt is still living, but my Uncle is in heaven.


I did lots more babysitting last week of both the grand kids and the grand dog, as well. The kids did a total of 5 sleepovers and the dog did 6! I know why God gives us our kids when we are younger and have more energy… I sure tired out… but don't get me wrong… I love my grandkids dearly… I was happy when Jana returned home from her get away… and I could return the grandkids and get a decent night's sleep again!!! We shared many smiles and lots of fun while the kids were here, though.


August has been a month filled with many mixed emotions with anniversaries of occasions of loved ones in Heaven… as well as special occasions for many we love still with us. Just last week my nephew Sam turned 26 on the 22nd. And tomorrow our good friend, Mike has a birthday which he shares with his only grandson, Miles who turns 2  in Toronto.
My friends Linda and Dennis are coming up to their milestone 40th Anniversary the end of this week on the 29th. Linda always puts on her wedding gown and walks the walk on her special day… kinda cool… I know I couldn't do that…
my dress is a few sizes smaller than me now! hehehe


We've had some up days and down days… but there is always lots going on which keeps us looking upward  and moving onward with hope and a smile.


I have enjoyed lots of the competition shows on TV, too…and like to practice my judging skills while watching them!


I want to give a shout out to my hairdresser, Marla…
who is always there to not only help with the bad hair days… but to share in a fun visit while doing so.
She freshened up my "do" just yesterday!!!


We feel so lucky to have such good friends and family who always share in our life as we journey forth.

On that note…
here is my rhyme of the day….


A smile is something that brightens a face,
It can turn sad to happy, in such a small space.
Let's face it we all have good days and also some bad,
But smiling can pick us up, when we're feeling sad.
When we look on the bright side and keep our chin up,
And add something special to our full cup,
Things often seem better and more worthwhile,
By just looking up, and wearing a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment