Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cherished Aunts & Uncles

"An aunt is someone special to remember with warmth, think of with pride and cherish with love."
-Author Unknown

"An uncle is a joy to remember all your whole life through."
- Author Unknown

"Families are tied together with heartstrings."
-Author Unknown 

My very dear Auntie Frances...
whom I referred to as "AUNTIE FRANKIE"
all my life.
Here she stands in front of the main branch of the Library in Saskatoon,
which is named after her.
This photo taken long ago was the one on her obituary card.

She joined the fleet of Angels above one year ago today,
but will be CHERISHED forever.


10 days ago these special people celebrated their 67th wedding anniversary.
This photo of my dear AUNTIE MARY and UNCLE CHARLIE
was taken of us on January 1, 2012 .
Uncle Charlie (my dad's brother) is my only living uncle now.


Mom's siblings taken at a special event long ago...
Jean, Phyllis, Bob, Frances, and mom!

Only Auntie Phyllis (who lives in Victoria) is alive still. 


The only picture I could find of dad with his siblings taken in 1990
at their dad(my grandpa's 99th birthday) ... he went on to have a 100th one as well!

Grandpa in front and his kids...
Betty, Charlie, Ruth, and my dad!

All of these people are still alive except my dad and grandpa.


A sweet picture of my cousins, Bev, Eileen, and Gwen...
with dear Auntie Mary and Auntie Ruth sandwiched in the middle!
This was taken in October of 2006 at Auntie Mary and Uncle Charlie's house,
where I have so many memories from my life growing up.


A cute pic of my daughter, Jana(as a blonde here!!!),
with mom's sister, Phyllis and sister-in-law, Betty, who both live at the coast.
This was taken in the fall of 2008.
Both of these aunties are still living. ..
and Auntie Phyllis sends out a weekly email every week!


A photo of me with my dad's youngest sister, Betty, from Chicago.
This was taken in the summer of 2007
at one of the many family gatherings we had then.
I still get lots u of updates and emails from this auntie!


A special photo of me with my Auntie Frankie
on her final Christmas of 2010. 


A very cherished memory of me with my Auntie Jean
celebrating her 95th birthday.
February, 2011.
She passed away months later. 


My 2 sweet nieces here  a couple weeks ago.
They call me AUNTIE!
I cherish the time I can spend with
Rowen , age 12 and Emily age 15.
I am also proud to be called auntie by my 6 nephews as well!


Today I decided to dedicate my blog to
AUNTS and UNCLES!
 


All of my aunts and uncles were married,
giving me 7 Aunts and 7 Uncles. One uncle I never met as he passed away before I born. The rest of my aunts and uncles I have so many fond memories of .


One year ago my dear Auntie Frankie passed away, so today it seemed appropriate to write a tribute to all my aunts and uncles.


On my dad's side of the family
there is...
RUTH and Dave
CHARLIE and Mary
BETTY and Rudy.
Out of those 6... 4 are still living.

On mom's side of the family
there is...
JEAN and Allan
FRANCES and Harvey
PHYLLIS and Grant
BOB and Betty
Out of those 8...2 are still living.


The only living aunt and uncle from Saskatoon are Auntie Mary and Uncle Charlie...
in fact Charlie is my only living uncle now.
I shared so many treasured and cherished memories with them growing up. Uncle Charlie gave the toast to the bride at my wedding. He was always the family clown... and was the entertainer at many family events keeping us all in stitches with his wonderful humor!
Auntie Mary was born in Scotland and to this day still  has her sweet little Scottish accent. She is such a sweet and kind lady with such a warm smile. I have lots of many cherished memories of time spent with them at their home growing up.


I have lots of fun stories of lots of my Aunts and Uncles and many of them revolve around family gatherings we shared growing up.


I think of BLUE BIRDS when I think of my dad's oldest sister, Ruth... she always loved them... she is like a sweet bird, too!


My Auntie Bettys... are both both sharp bright ladies... I look up to them both and hope  to be as with it when I am their age.


My Auntie Jean was an inspiration to me with her musical talents... she was a lady who was always so proper and yet had a great sense of charm and wit.


My auntie Phyllis is a real charmer... quite a marvel as well still sending weekly emails at the age of 89. She too has such a fun sense of humor, and loves life!


Frances was such a well respected lady and admired by many. Although she was very modest always... she was an inspiration to many with all she did in the library world.


Because most of my uncles did not live here, I didn't get to know them all as well, but have nothing but fond and cherished  memories of all of them. Some of them left this world long ago.


I am delighted to now be called auntie
by my 6 nephews,
Brad, Jeff, Sam, Luke, Alec, and Maxwell.
I also enjoy the time I can spend with my 2 nieces as well, Emily and Rowen.


I only hope I am as important in the lives of my nieces and nephews as my
Aunts and Uncles have been in my life.


I am reminded daily how lucky I am in my life to have had the influence of such loving people, from my family to my friends... I am truly blessed for sure. Everyone plays such an important role in my life.


I have missed my grandkids, Mariah and Beau this past week as they have been on a little family holiday at Waskesiu. Last summer we were there with them to share in the fun.
They return later today and I am sure I will have lots of fun things to share from their trip in my next blog!

on that note...
 my rhyme of the day...

I feel lucky and oh so blessed,
When it comes to family, mine is the best.
I had 7 aunts and 7 uncles, too...
And though some are gone,
I will remember them through...
The many memories all through the years.
I have very many of all of those dears!
Family is what threads us all together,
Whether in sunny or in stormy weather.
The things they shared with me along the way,
Are cherished and held in my heart to stay.
Aunts and Uncles will truly always be,
Very precious and so special to me.
I feel the times times I've been able to share,
Will remain in my heart, and always be there.
Now I am happy to be called AUNTIE, too!
I cherish the fun  with the things I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment