Friday, August 24, 2012

"TAPPiNG" into SPECiAL MEMORiES

"Memories are the key not to the past, 
but to the future."
-Corrie Ten Boom

"Keep all special thoughts and memories for lifetimes to come. Share these keepsakes with others to inspire hope and build from the past, which can bridge the future."
-Mattie Stepanek

"Music is a way we can tap into that power. that is why we feel music with our whole being."
-A. Robbins and C. Madanes


Here are my parents 63 years ago today
on their WEDDING DAY.
Today they will be celebrating
 together in HEAVEN!


A more recent pic of my mom and dad.
I am sure thinking of them today
on a day they will
be dancing to their song
"SATIN DOLL"

Today I am certainly thinking of my parents
on what would be their 
63rd Wedding Anniversary.

For as long as I can remember their very favorite song has been the Duke Ellington classic, "SATIN DOLL". It was played at both of their funerals, too, as a grand farewell song.

I am not sure why, but I never ever got around to choreographing anything to that song. So it was my mission to do so one day even with them gone. It seemed appropriate to do that in sync with their anniversary.

On this past sunday night I looked up Satin Doll on itunes and there are nearly 1200 versions there! I remember doing this last year around this time of year and being overwhelmed to the point of not even trying 

to find a version to tap to. 
However this year I followed through 
with my mission!
I ended up buying 7 different versions and picking one to create a tap combo to.

I then tried to video tape myself in my basement from behind into a mirror. 

That did not turn out well... 
infact it was kind of a "BUMMER!"... 
which goes with my new name 
that Beau calls me(BUMMA!). 
The video only picked up images of my rear end and the sound of taps and 
the music in the background.

My next attempt of video taping was on Wednesday at the dance studio when my cousin Gwen came to tape me 

doing my combo on my camera. 
She recorded it twice, but when I got home 
and watched it, the sound and actions 
did not play back in sync!

So I then attempted one more time to video 

the combo I created to SATIN DOLL in mom and dad's honor, yesterday at the dance studio, this time on a different camera, sitting on the studio stairs! Again I recorded it 2 times... and they turned out the best of all my attempts.

It is almost a shame I waited until 

mom and dad were no longer living 
and until my tapping skills were not as strong 
to do this... but as the saying goes...
Better late than never!

I am glad I have made an attempt to dance to their song...and I believe they watched it from HEAVEN, too... so for mom and dad...
TAPPY ANNIVERSARY today!

This has been a rather eventful week for me as I have been "TAPPING" into preparations for a summer school I will be teaching next week in the city. I will be doing the TAP classes at KRISTY'S DANCE FUSION, 

which is a local studio, 
at her 4 day dance camp.

I am both nervous and excited to TAP into one of my passions once again, and even though I have been away from the teaching for a bit, it will be a fun MEMORY for me.

The studio I am involved with, BSOBAD, has their fall registration next week, too. My job there the past 4 years has not been teaching, but in creating their bulletin boards... 

which are all big and somewhat like doing large scrapbooking pages! 
I did TAP into some of that 
creativity yesterday, as well.
I love themes, and got back into one we have used before... "FROGS".
It was a "TOAD"-ally un "FROG"-ettable one
for sure! I've continued to include "BEES"
because they go so well with the studio name "B"SOBAD!... 

So much fun, so many memories.

I enjoyed a visit with my cousin, David and his wife, Elena over a nice supper this week, and had a visit with my cousin Gwen, too.

I also did some babysitting of my darling grandkids. So really this week I have been TAPPING into many kinds of memories...
old and new!

Another TAPPING memory,
 Yesterday would have been GENE KELLY's 100th birthday had he still been alive.
He was my all time favorite dancer and certainly a wonderful inspiration to my passion for TAP!
So I took some time to watch a few of his greatest TAP numbers on youtube yesterday.

The rest of these photos will tie my week together... enjoy!

My cousin Gwen when she came to the dance studio
 to video tape me on Wednesday.
Co-incidentally the photo behind us has Mariah in it, too!


My miss-matched Tap Shoes on the patio table,
I went from a little "TAP-iccino"...
 to a FRAPICCINO... from Starbucks! 

Supper wednesday night with Brian and my cousin, David and his wife Elena,
when they were passing through Saskatoon from
where they live in Ontario on route to the coast to visit more relatives.


One of the Bulletin Boards at BSOBAD with a mix of
 BEES and FROGS and PHOTOS, and
celebrations since the year end show last May!


Mariah when I babysat her on Monday...
TAPPING into a little pose in her new skirt and hat.
She is looking so grown up all of a sudden. 


Beau when he was here last weekend...
stopped long enough for a quick pose for his "BUMMA"
He is all boy...and so cute!


The kids out on the teeter totter on Sunday when they came for supper.
This rusted old swing set has provided many fun memories! 


This is a T-Shirt I have...
I love the saying on it...

After a little 4 year break from teaching
 I will defintely be following this advice...
and I will KEEP CALM and SHUFFLE ON!


HAPPY TAPPY ANNIVERSARY
today to MOM and DAD!

Mom's only living sister, Phyllis, also got married to my Uncle Grant on this date in 1946.

On that note a TRIBUTE to my parents...

Today's a very special day...
And I'm TAPPING into it
in a special way!
On this date in 1949...
My parents were married,
and on a day so fine.
I have memories that go way beyond...
Of these loving people, whom I am so fond.
They paved the way in my life for me,
They set an example as loving as can be.
While they were here,
I didn't thank them enough...
For all that they did... and all of the stuff!
I am so grateful for all that they shared,
I always knew in my heart how they cared.
Their love of music
and the song SATIN DOLL,
Were but a few of the things, big and small.
They shared their love with me of DANCE,
So truly it wasn't at all by chance,
That I would go on to just love it too,
But most of all I love them both
through and through!
So on this day,  I'm blowing kisses up above,
And I can just feel the warmth
of their LOVE.
I share my wishes in TAPPiNESS...
I know they're together so that brings me HAPPiNESS.
They really truly were the very best...
As parents go...
I was sure very BLESSED!

No comments:

Post a Comment