Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My DEAR AUNTIE FRANKIE


Here is my Dear AUNTIE FRANKIE
 with the Mother's Day card I made her this past May, 2011. 


Today I dedicate my blog to my 
DEAR AUNT FRANCES
(I called her AUNTIE FRANKIE!)

FRANCES MORRISON
1918-2011

"When love and skill work together, 
expect a masterpiece."
-John Ruskin

"The manner of giving shows the character of the giver more than the gift itself."
-Lavater


A family photo in 1979
Left to Right
Jean, Phyllis, Bob, Frances, Marilou
They were a good looking family!

(Bob passed away years ago, and Marilou, Jean and Frances all passed away within in this past year)

My Auntie Phyllis and my Uncle Bob's wife, Betty, are the only ones  still alive
from this generation on my mom's side of the family.



A very cute photo of my mom, my son Colin
and my AUNTIE FRANKIE
Taken at a family function in May of 1980
She always had a radiant SMILE!


A photo taken on November 30, 2010
 I'm seen with Auntie Frankie and her only son...
(my cousin) David, who lives in Ontario.
I went for a little visit at "TEA TIME " at her care home.
She always enjoyed that, as it invovled cookies, and
Auntie Frankie was noted for her sweet tooth...
maybe that is why she was so SWEET!


December 24th, 2010
I stopped by her care home with a box of chocolates
and to wish her a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
She loved chocolate... (me too!)


May 30th, 2011 at her sister (my aunt) JEAN'S Funeral .
From behind is Jean's daughter (my cousin) Darcy.
The lady pushing the wheel chair I do not know.
She found this such a hard occasion.


Here is another photo from Jean's funeral...
with 3 very special people in my life,
My brother, BRIAN, introducing my grandson, BEAU,
 to my dear AUNTIE FRANKIE!
This is not only a cherished photo,
but is a memory I will hold so fond to my heart forever.


"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people."
-Abraham Joshua Hesche


... My AUNTIE FRANKIE was both CLEVER and KIND and I ADMIRED her all my life!







Here is a photo of my Auntie Frankie and me on October 6th, 2010
I had gone for a little visit to her home and took some chocolate chip cookies I baked,
I knew she loved cookies!
This was a special day in my memory bank as well...
I stopped by 3 different care homes to visit 3 special aunties and deliver some cookies to all of them.
These memories will live on in my heat forever, too!



A photo of the FRANCES MORRISON LIBRARY
taken just this past Monday, August 15th, 2011
(The day after AUNTIE FRANKIE passed away)
I decided to go and take a photo and read some history on the library and my Aunt at the same time.
I will go back and do more research, too... it was so interesting.


My AUNTIE FRANKIE was not only a special aunt to me, she was a very well respected and prominent figure in Saskatoon.

There was a lovely article on her in today's STAR PHOENIX NEWS PAPER.
I scanned the article and tried to add it to this blog, but it didn't seem to attach!

FRANCES (Frankie) was featured on the CTV  6PM local news last night as well.
The news clip and news paper article can be viewed on line.
Her full obit will appear in Friday and Saturday's
Star Phoenix News papers, as well.

To QUOTE from the news clip...

"One of the most influential people in Saskatoon's public library system has died.
Frances Morrison was 92.
Morrison joined the library in 1943 and was the city's chief librarian until her retirement in 1980.
That made her the first woman to head a civic department.
In addition to naming the main downtown library after her, Morrison received many honours  for her contributions, including the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, and the Jubilee Award.
The library plans to set up a book of condolences, and a display in her honour."

She was very involved with many city organizations including the
Grosvenor Park United Church, The University Women's Club,The Saskatoon Heritage Society, the Saskatchewan Arts Board and
the HEART and STROKE Foundation of Saskatchewan.



In 1989 , she received the 
YWCA WOMAN of the YEAR AWARD.


 She truly was a GEM...
the sweetest natured lady ever.
She was always so kind and very humble,
 in spite of how accomplished she was.

She unfortunately lost her husband, Harvey, early in her marriage due to an illness, and raised their one and only child, David, on her own. She also has 4 grandchildren...
Heather, Jonathan, Daniel, and Michael,
along with 2 great grandchildren, 

Cecillia and Patrick, as well.


Auntie Frankie was at many of our family functions in my growing up years. She also hosted some very delicious suppers and family gatherings at her place as well.


She also looked after us kids on occasion when my parents were out of town. I remember having cheese bread toasted, for the first time in my life when she looked after us...
She also introduced me to a funny vegetable called fiddle heads!

I recall receiving many books from her in my life all with little heart felt messages hand written
in the front  flap of the book.
She always encouraged reading as a valuable asset to our education and upbringing.

She and my mom were very close right up to when neither of them could work their phones any more. (Kind of sad).
My mom loved to tell people how her sister was FRANCES MORRISON...
from the FRANCES MORRISON LIBRARY!
It was like my mom was so proud of her sister... so it was like a little brag... but so cute!


I think it is easy to say that she was a cherished and favorite lady to many people who knew her.
I know she would not have a single enemy in the world. She had such a genuine caring and loving way about her always.

Although FRANCES/ FRANKIE will be missed, her legacy will live on in our hearts forever.
She will be fondly remembered by
all who knew her and of her.

I have mentioned FRANCES and or family connections in other previous blogs as well...

You may check them out on the right hand side of the blog site by going to archives...
(all from 2011)
By these dates and blog titles:

May 6th -"It's All Relative"
June 1st -"Soundtrack to Life"
June 3rd -"A Whirlwind of Activities"
July 21st - "Berry Grateful"


On a different note...
This date holds another memory for me from
seventeen years ago
when I was teaching one of the many
LANIGAN DANCE SUMMER SCHOOLS,
that I used to teach.

Our neighbours had sent their 2 girls... Kristi, and Carly with me and Jana to the summer school, and while there at my friend Linda's house, we got a call, that their older sister passed away.
Jaime would have been 32 if still alive, but at the very young age died of a cancerous brain tumor.
I am thinking of their family today... hard to believe 17 years have passed, I remember it like it was yesterday.

"The protective presence of angels in our lives is a blessing - a gift to us given by God himself."
-Anna Trimiew




A happier celebration for today is that my FLOWER GIRL is celebrating her 38th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
VALERIE!
(daughter of my cousin Darcy)

As I grow older, I realize just how important all the special people are in my life!

"A loving heart is the truest wisdom."
-Charles Dickens

and on that note... here is my little poem for today...




Some people are worth a big CELEBRATE...
Because they are even greater than great!
They really have left a bright mark
here on earth,
They've shared a wealth of kindness
and also of worth.
They have done unto others
more than one even knows,
And been ever so humble
blending into the flows.
They have earned many titles
and certainly wowed,
Everyone who knew them will always be proud.
Their ever so loving and nurturing ways,
Will carry us through many years,
months and days.
They now have moved on to the fleet in the sky,
They've earned their own wings
and know how to fly.
They will watch over us
and protect and send love,
Amongst all the stars and the sun up above.





4 comments:

  1. Very touching - wonderfully said. Great poem - article straight from the heart. I know she must have been so proud of you, also - you are so easy to love and love so easily. Great family roots. I am sad that you have lost a piece of you. Thank you for introducing me to your auntie. Thanks for the nice blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arlene...
    My Auntie was a legand for sure...and so sweet always, too. I have comfort in knowing she is now reunited with her family and friends who have passed before her. I feel badly for the one remaining sister (my Auntie Phyllis)... as she lost all 3 sisters of hers in less than a year. It makes me appreciate the finer moments in time and cherish them more and more... thanks for reading!
    xo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful 'tribute' blog Diane..You really do 'wear your heart on your sleeve'...your deep emotions shine through in every word you wrote here. The quotes and your poem say a lot about how your heart is aching...aching for those who passed from your life. You really are a special person who must have been loved and cherished by your auntie and your friends who lost their beloved daughter...my heart goes out to you my dear friend. (I'm sorry I didn't read this sooner): Please know I feel the pain in your tender heart. Thank you for sharing your loving memories with me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arleena/ Arlene!
    Thanks again for your kind comments on my blog. This one was definitely a heartfelt one for sure! The people talked about within this one are special to me. The family with the loss of their 15 year old daughter are doing well, but it is a memory every year that we all remember back 17 years ago.
    My Auntie Frankie is a legend and will be cherished and remembered fondly by many for years to come.
    xo Diane

    ReplyDelete