Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sending Wishes to HEAVEN!

"The love and life we create is the life and love we live." - Leo Buscaglia


"A wise lover values not so much the gift of the lover as the love of the giver." 
- Thomas a Kempis


"Treasure the love you receive. It will survive long after your gold and good health have vanished. - Og Mandino



My Dad and Mom on August 24th 1949
Their Wedding Day 


Today they can celebrate their 62nd Wedding Anniversary together again.
This will be their first anniversary "TOGETHER" in Heaven! 


A photo of their honey moon turned into a Christmas card .
(My cousin Gwen found this one for me... and Jana said my dad's hair do is right back in style again!)

A beautiful photo of my Auntie Frances in front of her library.
This photo was on the cover of the memorial cards at her funeral yesterday.


My aunt's one and only son, David at her grave sight yesterday.
He informed me they are redoing the stone to include mother and father together on it.
The stone will look like a book ... so appropriate for my Aunt  who was a librarian!


My cousin David in front of the Frances Morrison Library yesterday with his four children.
There is a lovely display of my aunt there now that people may go see and sign a book of condolences. 


Here is a cute picture of my Father-in law, Greg and Mariah at the funeral reception yesterday.
I was thrilled that they were both a part of the celebration. 


My brothers later yesterday at a lovely family barbeque
graciously hosted by my
Aunt's brother-in -law, DALE. 


Family gathered in celebration at the barbeque last night to honor the life a a life well lived.
I always love a family barbeque gathering!!!
The food and visits were awesome, too!


Today would have been my parent's
62nd Wedding Anniversary.

So in honor of them today I wanted to pay
tribute to them. This will be their first anniversary celebrated together in Heaven. I do miss them but their loving ways live on through my heart in my daily life. I was so fortunate to have had such wonderful parents growing up. I know they instilled many treasured memories and values in me, and for that I am so grateful.

With their very common interest in music, particularly Jazz and Big Band...
for as long as I could remember,
their favorite song was a song called
"SATIN DOLL"
This song was composed by
Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn
with lyrics written by Johnny Mercer
in 1953.

I never did understand the lyrics... but this song brings so many memories of my parents for me.

The final verse goes...

"Telephone numbers, well you know...
Doin' my rhumbas with uno!
And that 'n,
My Satin Doll!"

We had that played as the final song at both of my parents' funerals in their memory.
I BELIEVE they will have an opportunity to dance to that in heaven today!

I got to thinking last week how in all my years of teaching dancing that I never ever created a dance number to that song... so one day I will! That can be a goal for me!
After researching the song on itunes, I was ever so surprised to find there are nearly 1200 versions of that song recorded!
Interestingly enough... even Stevie Wonder has a harmonica version of that song!!!

My mom's one and only living sister, Phyllis, was also married on this date a couple of years before mom and dad... so they always shared the same wedding anniversary date!
We spoke to Auntie Phyllis last night when we called her in BC ...
she was sounding very upbeat.

"SWITCH-A- ROONY!"

Yesterday was a beautiful celebration of a life well lived. My Aunt Frances Morrison who passed away on August 14th, 2011,
was fondly remembered and honored.

The day started at the grave sight with a private family service, followed by a brief trip to my Aunt's library to view the display of her
and to sign the condolences book there.

The afternoon was the lovely memorial service held to honor her. A very heart felt tribute was given by 3 of her 4 grandchildren as well as one by her son, (my cousin), David.
The service really captured my
Aunt Frances (FRANKIE!)
She was a very well thought of lady by all who knew her.

In the evening a great gathering of relatives gathered at my Aunt's brother -in-law's house.
Thanks to Dale and his wife Mildred for hosting such a beautiful event so that us relatives could share our memories together.

Today will be another busy one for me, as I am babysitting my grandson, Beau all day...
and due to the fact we had so much fun last night, we decided to have the relatives here tonight to share in a supper and
yet more fun memories!

A little poem for my parents today...

Dear mom and dad, I know it's your day...
So I'm blowing you kisses, and writing to say,
I'm thinking of you, and missing you, too.
But I'm hoping you're enjoying
all the things you can do.
Now that you are together again,
You can recall old times, like way back when.
I BELIEVE today you will have a little dance...
And maybe to SATIN DOLL by chance!
You've likely noticed more family up there,
I know you'll enjoy them and you'll also share,
The LOVE that you shared while here on earth,
I know you valued them and all their worth.
Take care of each other until we earn our wings,
And remember the loving message this brings!
And although I miss you, we aren't far apart...
I'll love you forever, you live on in my heart!


2 comments:

  1. A very lovely 'tribute' blog Diane. And so very well done too, I must add...the photos are very nice to see also. I always love the 'quotes' you choose for each blog, they are always so appropriate for every occasion you write about. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family memories with me...your parents are very blessed to have such a sweet daughter as you..as I am to have been blessed to find such a sweet friend..

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH... THANKS ARLENE!
    I really value your kindness and genuine interest in me and my family. I do love to try to find quotes that kind of tie the blog together, too! I think there are so many good ones floating around and I look forward to finding the ones that kind of match my thoughts each time!
    Thanks xoxo

    ReplyDelete