Sunday, March 4, 2012

You "NAME" it...

"Nicknames stick to people and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive."
-Thomas C. Haliburton


"One thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name."
-Theodore Roosevelt




Here I am when I was
"Dotty Dancing DIANE"...
at the age of 8 years old! 


Here I am later with my family.... at the age of 18
 seen with the best parents in the world, who gave me my name
"DIANE" in the first place,
They called me "DAUGHTER"!
My brothers Bob, and Brian later shortened
Diane to "DEE"
 


My name in this photo was now
"MOM, MAMA or MOMMY"
 to my two kids
Jana and Colin
They are 6 months old and 2 and a half here! 


Fast forward to October, 2010...
I am now seen here again with my kids as well
as my Hubby, Brian...
who calls me his WIFE...
among other nick names!!! 


To these lovely people I am a
"DAUGHTER-IN-LAW"
This is my father-in-law, Greg and
my mother-in-law, Blanche.


In this photo I am referred to as a "COUSIN" or "CUZ"!
My cousin Gwen and I loved the BEATLES
and pretended to be
PAUL McCARTNEY'S COUSINS
as kids, too! 


To these cuties... my grandkids, MARIAH and BEAU...
I am known as "GRAMMIE D" or "GRAMMA"
... and sometimes BEAU calls me "POPPA" !!! 


These two "BRIANS" had a big influence on my life

My hubby, Brian,  on the left here...
also went by the nick name "RAB" for years.
BRIAN FOLEY, on the right,
Dance Mentor Extraordinaire,
used to call me "DEE BOB".
This photo was taken in October of 2006 


To this wonderful looking group...
I was known as their "TAP TEACHER",
"MISS DIANE"
 at BSOBAD DANCE STUDIO
May 2008.


We call each other FRIENDS and DANCE MENTORS
and blended our dance studios together from 2002-2008.
I was TAP DIRECTOR for
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR,
BRENDA at BSOBAD.
this is show time 2008,
and the 25th anniversary of her studio. 

In this photo taken Fall of 2011... I go by "SCOOTER!"
My friends Colleen and Gailene and I took the
MUPPET QUIZ on FACEBOOK to find out that
we were all most like the muppet known as  SCOOTER!


Here I am with my good buddy, Linda... she refers to me as
"SUZIE"... It is a nick name that goes way back...
but in this pic taken in fall of 2011
I am "STARBUCKS SUZIE"


YOU NAME IT.....I AM CALLED IT!!!

I decided to do a blog to explain
all my names, nick names, and titles.

My parents named me, "DIANE",
at birth... but later my brothers,
 family and friends would
call me simply "DEE".

In high school I added BUD to my friends names...and they added it to mine as well... making me "DEE BUD".

I opened my dance studio in 1974...
by the name of
"DIANE WILL DANCE STUDIO".
There I went by OWNER, OPERATOR,
& DANCE TEACHER.

A big influence on my DANCE CAREER
was BRIAN FOLEY...
he called me "DEE BOB"!
(I met my husband BRIAN
on a blind date in Edmonton ...
because of a Brian Foley Dance Workshop
I was there to attend!)

I was married to my hubby,
BRIAN RASKOB in 1976.
When I met him, his nick name was "RAB".
To him my title is  "WIFE"!
We call each other "HUN"
as a nickname now,
(along with many other funny names!!!)

I had my first child, COLIN, in 1979,
changing my title to
MOM... MOMMY ... MAMA or MOTHER...
Which my second child, JANA,
also called me
after joining the family in 1981.

As well as a child, dancer, daughter, sister, wife, mom, daughter-in-law, & dance teacher...
I was also a grand daughter, cousin,
sister-in-law, aunt, and mother-in-law...
and later became a GRANDMA!

Now retired from DANCE TEACHER...
I still have the title
DANCE ADJUDICATOR,
when judging various competitions
and festivals across Canada!

I have many hobbies...
giving me other titles as well...
such as crafter,  amateur photographer,
scrap booker, babysitter, blogger,
amongst others!

I like to call myself a FRIEND
to many as well...
where a lot of my nick names
started throughout the years of my life!!!

My grandkids bring out the best in me...
and it is cute how I go by
GRAMMIE D or GRAMMA
to Mariah... but Beau
associates me to the
whole experience of coming here
and refers to that as POPPA!

My very dear friend Linda
has called me SUZIE for a long time.
We used to use it in reference to dancers as SUZIE SORE FOOT!
When I used to sign my name
on my emails to her,
 it would be with SUZIE
and a thought of the day...
such as
SUZIE SUNSHINE or SUZIE SNOWFLAKE,
but now I just like to think the
nick name stuck because
I am quite often very EN-SUZIE-ASTIC!
(or not!) hehehe
She has flattered me by comparing me to the creative mind of DR. SEUSS
by  calling me DR. SUZIE!

So on that thought...
here is a little DR. SUZIE poem
about many of the names I go by!

You "NAME" It!

I have lots of names that I answer to...
And many within this...
I'll walk you right through.
DIANE was my name
on the day I was born,
But since that day,
many names I have worn.
Some names are long...
and others are short.
I've even been called
a real WORRY WART!
I've been known to many as
quite simply... "DEE",
It's short and it's sweet,
and it kind of suits me!
In high school it was DEE BUD
...and later DEE BOB!
My last name was WILL
and now it's RASKOB.
I have been the QUEEN
of many a name...
Some are just silly,
but they're my claim to fame!
I've been QUEEN of DANCE...
and just MRS. TAPPER,
And also a scrapper,
a snapper, and wrapper!
I like to take photos and
do scrapbooks in theme,
This GRAMMA QUEEN
takes a name to extreme!
I'm also a QUEEN of STICKERS
and SPOTS...
Because as you know,
I just Love POLKA DOTS!
I was once a PRINCESS as well...
yep... SNOW WHITE.
I've also been called LADY DI
and DEE-LIGHT!
I've been a MUPPET from a
quiz on the computer,
The one I'm most like,
it told me was like
SCOOTER!
I'm also MOM, MAMA,
SISTER and SIS,
I'm a COUSIN, a NIECE,
 and a MRS. and A MISS!
I love the title of being
GRAMMIE D...
And GRANDMA,  and
sometimes even
POPPA... (hehe!)
I proudly wear titles of
DAUGHTER, AUNT and WIFE,
Those names I've held dear
throughout my sweet life!
I've been crafty like MARTHA,
and compared to HEY JUDE!
I've been told I'm an ICON,
also names that are rude!
Like FATS, and CHUBS and
FARTS IN THE SKY!!!
I prefer the name HUN...
bet you can see why!!!!
I've been known to be one with
the gift of the gab...
So CHATTY CATHY
is a name suited so fab.
I've been MISS DIANE
when I was a TEACHER.
I've been called BABYSITTER
and also a PREACHER!
My good friend calls me SUZIE
since way back when,
That name has just stuck
again and again!
I have lots of titles and names,
in the end,
But the one I LOVE LOTS...
is when I am called FRIEND!



No comments:

Post a Comment