Sunday, September 11, 2011

HaPpY/ SaD... mix!

                 HAPPY GRANDPARENTS DAY!





Here is a little pic of Brian and me with our Grandchildren
BEAU and MARIAH
in Waskesiu this summer

We feel so blessed to be GRANDPARENTS 

             


My very first ever
GRANDPARENT'S DAY
here with our first grandchild, MARIAH, on September 10th, 2006,
along with our kid's grandparents
GREG, BLANCHE, and my mom, MARILOU


"You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories."
-Stanislaus Lec



"Hope
is like the sun, which as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us."
-Samuel Smiles





"Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap."
-Doug Larson





Today has a happy-sad mix of emotions... 


The world remembers the events 10 years ago on this date and continues to mourn for all the families who lost their loved ones on this date through the horrific events that took place in 
9-11.




Canada has been watching the news closely about the recent kidnapping of a 3 year old boy in BC. Today that story had a happy ending with young KIENAN HEBERT being returned to his home safe and sound.




Today is NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS DAY.
I just looked up the history to find it is a secular holiday celebrated since 1978 and officially recognized in a number of countries on various days of the year.


I know this special celebration is very overshadowed today, but for me I cherish the fact that I am a grandparent, and that I had grandparents, and my children did, too!


We celebrated our very first ever Grandparent day as grandparents to Mariah on 
September 10th, 2006.  Jana was entertaining her girlfriends from Australia in Vancouver at the time, and since she lived in Edmonton, she had dropped off Mariah for us to have over a period of 4 days. We loved having little baby Mariah with us and we celebrated it by having a special supper here with my mom, 
and my in-laws that day! 


I remember documenting everything Mariah did over that four day stretch and typed it out in a booklet for Jana to keep. 
(Not sure if she ever had time to read it!...
maybe one day Mariah will!)


Brian and I have kept busy this past while with everything from funerals, to birthdays to 
charity events.... to garage cleaning!  


We attended the first ever 
"ANGELS AMONG US"  
charity event on Friday night to raise money and awareness for the "BALD ANGELS" organization. It is an organization which recognizes children with cancer. 
The evening was very well attended and a lovely event all round.




Last night we went to a surprise birthday party for a friend who works with Brian, and it was nice as well!




Today we will continue to organize around here, I am now on a roll cleaning out our garage!!!
We just purchased many blue rubber maid tubs and a big utility shelf... 
so my job is only just beginning!!!!


This evening we will have my brother for supper, and we also invited Jana, Nels and the kids, 
but they were unavailable to come.




I'm excited to see the finale of the Canadian version of SYTYCD on TV, tonight, too. I am quite sure one of the 3 girls will likely win... 
Or at least that would be my choice!
I know there is to be a piece choreographed for the top 10 dancers by our friend, 
STACEY TOOKEY, 
so I look forward to seeing that as well.


So today there is a focus on happy as well as sad events and reminders to continue to live each day to the fullest and cherish all memories.




Nine -Eleven is a date I will remember...
A shocking day 10 years ago in September.
It made me see the world in a different way,
It took so many lives on that dreaded day.
Today in reflection of the events of the past,
Those ten years have gone by so very fast,
The memories are deeply imprinted in my heart,
And I think of the ones whose 
loved ones are apart.
But I believe there is a sparkle to every cloud up in the sky,
In spite of how this date still leaves us asking WHY?






4 comments:

  1. A wonderful blog Diane, well written and 'straight to the heart' kind also. Nice to see you had some 'fun' events to attend..after all the sadness, people need to celebrate the good life too! Loved all the photos and 'quotes', as usual they were terrific to see/read. Your poem should be published, it was the kind that could make people really think about what goes though others hearts & minds..thank you for sharing, I loved everything about this one for sure.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks my dear sweet ARLENE!!!... what would I do without all your kind comments? Thanks for always stopping by to read and comment... that means so much to me!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - poignant. Not much I can add to what your 'other' Arlene said, but I second everything she said. Good work, great writing and words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to my other ARLENE friend, too ... I always appreciate that the 2 of you Arlene friends comment and read my blogs! Thanks so much!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete