Saturday, June 25, 2011

25th... and all that JAZZ!

                             ... AND it's off to JAZZ we go!

A couple of happy little rollers out with the stroller ready to JAZZ it UP!! 
This is one of my very favorite times of the year... yep sure is... JAZZ FESTIVAL time... 
I love, love, love it!


My Seize the day calendar today says this...
"Lovely moments are like seeds in the soul that grow into tender memories."-Robin Pickens



Here I am proud to show off my two grandkiddies this morning at the JAZZ FESTIVAL.
This was a new venue this year beside the Garden Architecture and it was so pretty.
 


Here is proud Poppa Brian with his little BEAU
at the jazz fest this morning! 


A little stop at the Farmer's Market
where we ran into Brian's sister, Bev,
and her husband's sister, Diane from Vancouver.


Mariah had a beautiful face painting... she was so proud of it...
she said she was leaving it on till she was all grown up! 


Brian with the kids by the JAZZ FESTIVAL
sign at Garden Architecture. 






Jana and her kiddies when we picked them up today.
Nels is in the background here, too! 


The beautiful BESSBOROUGH HOTEL
which is the hub of all the JAZZ FESTIVAL activities! 


JAZZ STREET in Saskatoon!
 


Brian and me JAZZ FESTIN last night! 


25th Year Anniversary of Saskatoon Jazz Festival.
Here is a "Jazz Fest Mobile" for transporting the musicians!

This is such a fond time of year for me for many reasons! I always attended the JAZZ FESTIVAL with my parents. When my dad passed away, I continued the tradition with my mom, taking her, until she no longer remembered!

Today is the 25th of the month... which is the 8th month anniversary of mom's passing, so she was on my mind even more today at this time of JAZZ FESTING, which I did so much of with her.

It is also the 25th Anniversay of the SASKTEL Saskatchewan Jazz Festival.

I would say that Saskatoon does a great job of hosting this event each year. Not only do I enjoy the music everywhere, but it is a time that signifies so many
fond summer memories for me.

The festival brings in a large variety of musical styles extending beyond JAZZ, but it is the JAZZ style I have the biggest passion for. I got that passion for music such as big band, standards,and smooth jazz, from my parents who instilled that love in me in the first place.

Now I must carry that torch and pass it on to the next generations of the family. Today we introduced BEAU to the jazz festival. We took both kids to a new venue this morning and it had the style of music both mom and dad would have loved. Infact MAURICE DROUIN was the pianist in the band playing this morning. He also played at both of my parent's funerals.

Brian and I were out to the JAZZ in BESSBOROUGH park last night... and it was truly hopping down there... There was a reggae band followed by a blues band in the FREE STAGE. Many spectators were out, due to the fabulous weather.
We also popped by the back of the main stage of the BESS GARDENS where the featured opening  night act was MACY GRAY. Sounded like a very enthusiastic crowd out for her, too.

There is so much going on in and around the city, that it is almost hard to take it ALL in... but we do try to get around.

 I plan to head back to Bess Park here shortly and get more fill of free jazzin in the park. Later this evening Brian is treating me to a concert at our local jazz venue called THE BASSMENT, where we will hear the "MARC ATKINSON TRIO" and the "HOT CLUB EDMONTON".
They play a gypsy style Jazz... which I enjoy.

We will attend a few other paid for concerts throughout the week, but mostly I will attend as much free stage stuff as possible! It is always fun to connect with lots of the Jazz fans and friends we see there year after year!

So due to the fact I am just on my way back to do more JAZZ FESTIN' I'll call this a blog!...
"AND ALL THAT JAZZ!"

This is such a JAZZY time of year...
One I always hold so dear,
Memories of past and of new ones, too.
I just love what this time of year can do!



2 comments:

  1. Diane..I really love this blog..'all that jazz' is great to read about for sure..I love the pix you posted..so nice to see both you & hubby..loved it...also interesting to hear of Maurice Drouin..I'm wondering if he's not a musician we knew from back home.? could be a 'small world' thing..(just a thought:) Anyway, I loved reading about the festival & seeing all the photos..the hotel pix is wonderful..a great hotel for sure. Thank you for posting..and sorry I'm so late in getting here to read this ..{ :

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARLEENA/ ARLENE!
    Thanks again for always "TAPPING" in adn commenting... I look forward to what you have to say... it means a lot to me... thanks! Diane :)

    ReplyDelete