Sunday, June 19, 2011

MORE DADS TO CELEBRATE!

"A Father's Love is a quiet love. Strong yet gentle... forever in the heart." - Author Unknown


"A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty." 
- Author Unknown


"A father is someone we look up to no matter how tall we get."
-Author Unkown



Here is a pic from around  1988
Funny to see not only us as a family but the dated clothes and family room in the background...
so many memories!
BRIAN was always such a good dad to his kids...and STILL IS!


Here is Brian and the kids in May of 1987.
Always so proud... his kids were the best!


Here I am with two of my favorites...
My dear hubby and my dear dad!
A PERFECT FATHER'S DAY pic!
Not sure the date...
Found this one in a mixed box of photos!!!


This photo was taken this morning with my FATHER-IN-LAW, GREG
and my HUBBY, BRIAN ... they really look a lot alike!
Note pics behind were taken by Greg and the Barn book on the table is a collection of his photography, too.
The statue on the table is his Father's Day gift for his yard. 
 

Here is BRIAN with his pride and joy... his two Grandkids and his boat.
This picture was taken in the spring this year.
We were hoping to get out in it today for father's day... but it is too chilly out to go boating.


Another moment of PRIDE this spring  ...
Mariah with her DADDY, NELS and her GRANDPA, BRIAN at her dance recital. 


Nels last sunday when he picked up the kids!
 He is so good with them, here he is with BEAU. 


Mariah and her daddy doing SILLY FACES.
They share a funny sense of humor and lots of similar traits! 


Another SILLY face from Mariah!
She loves her poppa... and I know he adores her to pieces, too! 


Nels with Beau at Christmas time.
Look at that million dollar smile of pride!


Father's Day Cards for BRIAN, GREG, and NELS!

After doing my FATHER'S DAY TRIBUTE to my dad on Friday, I really wanted to share how important these dads were in my life as well.

My dad was the best dad I could have ever asked for, and I shared many thoughts and memories on him in the last blog,if you care to check that one out, too...entitled
"MY DEAR DAD"

My HUSBAND, BRIAN, was an awesome dad to our two kids COLIN and JANA.
Where do I begin?

Well I would have to say that one of the "many" things that attracted me to him before we were married was how great he was around kids.  Any time we were around family and friends with little ones, he seemed to be so good with them and I knew that he was going to be an awesome dad one day... and I was right!

He is without a doubt the most generous guy I know. He would give anyone the shirt off his back... and especially his own two kids!

Infact JANA has her dad wrapped around her finger, still to this very day! MARIAH, too!
What is it about girls and their daddys and grandpas???? They seem to have such a special bond...and daddys and grandpas seem to have a soft spot for their little girls, too!

Brian was supportive of all the kids' activities in their growing up years and always allowed them to be themselves.
He was always there if they needed him, but allowed them space to grow as well.

He was there for all of COLIN'S sports and any activities he was involved in.  Brian was never a big golfing fan... but he participated with Colin until Colin went onto other interests.  Together they were both into Hockey, too, along with both the grandpas... ROY and GREG.
Colin was a rather humorous kid and got into a bit of mischief at school from time to time... but Brian was always there for him, when ever  Colin had been the class clown! He could be firm when needed, but seemed to have the right way to make things all turn out for the better. Brian was very understanding.

Brian was always involved with Jana's dancing years, too. He was a very proud daddy of all her accomplishments right up to and including  her five Tokyo Disney contracts. We even made 3 trips to Japan to watch her perform, and each trip saw her show many times!

A tradition was every year when our dance trips took us to Edmonton to compete, Jana and Brian would visit GRAVITY POPE SHOE store on WHYTE AVE. Jana usually came home with at least one new expensive pair of shoes each year. I am sure that is where her love of shoes came from and her daddy was always willing to get her which ever pair she chose!
Now Brian is a valued customer at Jana's shoe store, SWANK SHOE LOUNGE,
having purchased many shoes for himself
and me as well!

At Christmas time, in addition to the generous amount of gifts our kids got from the entire family, BRIAN always had a special something he picked out himself under the tree for them, too. No one usually knew about what he had bought, and he always took pride in his ability to have some of the best gifts there!

In the kid's teen years, Brian would never bat an eyelash at getting up in the wee hours of the morning to pick up a car load of partying teenagers our kids were with and make sure they all had safe rides home.

Brian was even good at giving up his parking space in the garage as soon as the kids got their first car. He figured they wouldn't be up in enough time to clear off their windshields in the winter before heading off to school and or jobs, so he began parking on the  road in front of the house. He still doesn't park in the garage, because... we have too much studio and old stuff in the way!
He is pretty laid back about that, too!

Brian is a marvelous cook and both kids have picked up some of those skills from him, as well. We have had many chances to sample both of their cooking, infact we have been invited to Jana's for supper to celebrate
FATHER'S DAY later today.


Brian is not only a wonderful loving and hard working  supportive dad, but he is the best husband and grandpa, too.
His dad has set an excellent  example for him to follow!

My FATHER-IN LAW, GREG, is the best one I could ask for as well. I truly am blessed.
He was a great father to all 4 of his children and now he has 8 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren as well. There is no other man PROUDER than GREG. Not only does he have a huge sense of pride in his family, but in his hobbies and life as well.

One of Greg's hobbies is his ability to take great photos of BARNS and HOMESTEADS across the nation. He has been featured on TV even for his work. I enjoyed helping Greg put his Barn Photos into a hard cover book which we did on our MAC computer through iphotos.

He was also a super carpenter  and built many fabulous things over the years. Now my son Colin does construction and carpentry, too, in Montreal, so I think he may have acquired those skills from his grandpas!

Greg takes great pride in his yard as well.
He is a very warm and sociable man,
I am so lucky to have him in my life.

My son in law, NELS, is a fabulous dad to his two little ones, as well. I am so pleased that my two GRANDKIDS, MARIAH and BEAU,
have such a loving daddy. Nels is very hard working and supportive of both his kids and of Jana, too. I know his great sense of humor and love of children are huge assets to their family.
I also feel blessed to have him in
my world of special DADS.

In honor of all the SPECIAL DADS out there... I wish them all a great FATHER'S DAY.

In addition to the above mentioned dads, I know so many dads, related and otherwise... far too many to mention but this tribute is for you!

Oh I say the measure of a man
Is not how tall you stand
How wealthy  or intelligent you are
'Cause I found out the
measure of a man
God knows and understand
For he looks inside to the
bottom of your heart
And what's in the heart defines
the measure of a man.
- Author Unkown

Here is my poem from Brian's little crafted father's day card...

You are the best dad and grandpa, too.
I'm so grateful for all you do.
It's been a really fun, fun ride...
One that has brought us so much pride.
Looking back over the years,
I think you raised them without fears.
As DADS and GRANDPAS,
You are the best,
I love you so and I'm truly blessed!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your family. Very interesting and encouraging to know there are family orientated,value-instilled, hospitable compassionate folks in your life and - and in this world. Your words beautifully describe the ideals which we grew up with - love and helping one another. You are blessed and you know it and you don't take it for granted. You missed one person - and that would be YOU. You have a kind heart. Thank you for sharing what's in it - on this blog. Bless you, Diane! (Amazing photos from days gone by and today - you are still beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful words always...Arlene/ Ethel!
    I really value what you say and think you are such a wonderful writer, so it means a lot to me that you always stop by to read about my life! Thanks for your compliments on me, also, I am flattered! I do feel blessed to come from a very well rounded family with strong morals and values in life! :)
    I feel pretty lucky to also have great friends, like you in my world as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a marvelous tribute to Fathers day Diane. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful hubby and father in law...they sound like great individuals with many fabulous qualities about them...you truly are blessed! Thank you for sharing all of your memorable times of the past and present. I've enjoyed reading all of it and also appreciated all of the photos..they were wonderful and quite 'entertaining'..I always love to see happy people enjoying life. I hope you all have had a terrific day...enjoying each other..and nice weather. Thank you again for sharing.. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Arlene/ Arleena!
    I appreciate your comments once again... Thanks for always tapping in! I do feel lucky in life and love my family and feel blessed to have such great friends such as yourself, too... Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete