Tuesday, June 28, 2011

HoT... CooL... & JaZZY!

I have been enjoying the JAZZ in SASKATOON the last 4 days... RAIN or SHINE!


"We don't stop playing because we grow old: we grow old because we don't stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw


"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." -Winston Churchill



Mariah is such a little free spirit...
she loves to dance out front at the Jazz festival!
Here she is yesterday in her little pink cowboy boots, just givin' er!


Beau enjoying some sunshine and
 free live jazz in the park yesterday! 


Brian and the kids at the
"Don Griffith and Chunk of Funk"
free noon hour stage in Bess park yesterday 


Me and the kids after moving
to a shadier location in the park! 


I love how kids just make friends so easily.
Mariah once again made some new little friends
 to dance with at the Jazz  yesterday
...and they all had a blast!


Here is a pic of "HOT CLUB EDMONTON" in the free stage
in the rain on Saturday.
I also heard them as the lead up to
"MARC ATKINSON TRIO"
in the BASSMENT  saturday night.


Sunday in the park watching the
"STONE FRIGATE BIG BAND"
and the traditional dancers who always come out
 and strutt their stuff right in front!
(They really think they are something...
Mom used to complain about them, so I could almost
 hear her voice on Sunday when they were there!!!)



Here is "MAURICE DROUIN and FRIENDS featuring JAMIE DONLEVY"
on sunday through many weather changes... on cue to the song choices!!!
She sang "STORMY WEATHER" and it instantly poured... then she sang "BLUE SKIES" and the sun came back out and the skies became blue instantly, too... it was incredible!
Jamie has a fabulous and sultry voice, this was my first time hearing her.
 


A couple "TRADITIONS"
UMBRELLA and STARBUCKS!!!
(I was missing my good Jazzin' buddy,
Linda from Lanigan to go with these this year!)


MAURICE DROUIN with Singer HEIDI ?
And his saxaphone player BOBBY KLASSEN,
Last night at 2nd Avenue Grill restaurant.
This singer was very good, too, also one I hadn't heard before.


Brian and Me having some dessert following
our yummy meals at 2nd Ave. Grill last night.
I had Peanut Butter Pecan Brulle and Brian had Cheese Cake!
I look tired here!!!... but I loved the music...and the food, too!


From JAZZ MUSIC... to JAZZ DANCING!
Here is good family friend, STACEY TOOKEY, as seen here on last week's
"So You Think You Can Dance"  as a choreographer on the USA version.
She was also seen as a judge last night on the Canadian version of the show.
All you "SYTYCD" watchers stay tuned for her...
she is fabulous at her job... and such a sweet person inside and out, too!
I also saw some familiar dancers among the auditioners in the Canadian show last night...
congrats to all who tried out.


Yesterday was to have been a
"BLOG WRITING" day for me...
but the day ran away without me!!!

I absolutely LOVE JAZZ FESTIVAL week in Saskatoon, but it is busy...go, go, go all week.
There is so much to do and so little time for anything else!

This year Brian took the week off, so he is able to join in the fun  as well. He isn't quite as passionate about the music as I am though, so sometimes I go on my own!

We were to have gone to Montreal this week for the Jazz Fest there, but I suggested with all the other expenses this year...
(new boat, new deck, new barbeque)
that we stay here and enjoy our own festival instead. We did go to Montreal's Jazz Festival 2 summers ago for their 30th anniversary year, and we loved it. It is very big... but I personally am just as happy with Saskatoon's, and love that we see lots of familiar faces when attending from season to season, too.

Here is an article from the Saskatoon Express little monthly newspaper that comes out on our JAZZ FESTIVAL...
The SaskTel Saskatchewan Jazz Festival is the second largest jazz event in Western Canada, and the fifth largest in Canada. It has assembled a lineup of talent that does justice to the 40 ticketed events and the 76 free events. There is 141 individual performances,  72 percent of the musicians call Saskatchewan their home, and there will be action on 18 stages or venues. More than 325 volunteers will help to coordinate the event. It is estimated that the festival has a $4.5 million impact on Saskatoon's economy.

Our festival runs from June 24th- July 3rd so today is the half way point of it already. I always find the time just flies when it is on...
then I find it kind of flat afterward!

Tomorrow is mom's birthday... the first one she will celebrate in HEAVEN.
I sure think of her and dad lots during
JAZZ FEST!
They loved to go, too! I hope to do another blog in dedication to mom on her birthday tomorrow, as well. I feel as though mom and dad have been enjoying the festival from the skies above!

My dad's brother,  and my UNCLE CHARLIE also had a birthday on the weekend. I phoned him to wish him well, but didn't find him at home when I called. I hope to do some jazzin with his daughter, my cousin, Gwen  as well this week!

We babysat the kids yesterday and took them down to some free jazzin in the park. They loved it... especially Mariah. I love how she makes new little friends each year when we take her. And the little ones love to get up and just dance away in front of the stage! So cute!
 Beau is now walking... but only a few steps at a time... when he chooses to, but that , too,
is so cute to see.
Such a darling stage in a little one's life!!!

Brian and I will go to a concert at Broadway Theatre tonight featuring my favorite local artists... Maurice Drouin , Bobby Klassen and lots of others as well. This will be my fourth time attending a concert featuring them at this festival... all have been at different venues,
but always enjoyable.

Saturday and Sunday were mixed bags of weather from Sun to cloud from dry to wet, from hot to cool...and even
some thunder, lightening and hail!
But it didn't keep the DIE- HARD Jazz fans,
like me away!

Today I hope to get to the gym as well... in between all my JAZZIN' IT UP!

Under the sunshine or even the rain,
One thing at JAZZ FEST will always remain,
Weather is but a small thing
 and I don't need sun...
I just need the JAZZ and people for my FUN!

4 comments:

  1. Aw - wonderful pictures and words and thoughts. Can hear the music looking at your blog. Summed it up nicely and was so fun to read about your adventures. Dear Diane - you certainly are the little engine that could! Thanks for sharing the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arlene... I appreciate your comments always... and thanks for your loyalty to my blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW and to think I almost missed this one..great blog..I loved the information you provided on the other festivals too. The Montreal Jazz fest was to be one of their best..so I was told by a friend...they go 'almost' every year. Penticton will have their festival in Sept. as usual..it's a big one too, with many acts from all around No.America..Perhaps you would like to Jazz it up here this fall..."food for thought"..I know you'd LOVE it too!!
    By the way, loved seeing all the photos, thank you for posting the ones with Maurice Drouin..he looks a bit older, but still looks great!
    Thanks for sharing...so sorry I'm so late...but better late than never..lalala and all that Jazz..( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alene/ Arleena...
    I just love that you even take the time to come and check it out... so no worries... there is now quizzes later!!! hehehe... thank for tapping in. I love that we are so connected through FB and my blog! and have so much in common... it is such a small world! xo

    ReplyDelete