Wednesday, June 29, 2011

CHOCOLATE Cake in HEAVEN!

Today would have been my mom's 83rd birthday... so I am blowing kisses up to HEAVEN today and am hoping she will be enjoying a piece of the finest CHOCOLATE cake up there. 
That was her favorite... (mine, too!)


My Seize the Day calendar says this today...
"Believe in your dreams. They are the fertile garden of your soul". - Robin Pickens


My oatmeal happy heart tip said...
"LEAVE TIME TO DREAM"



These are the CHOCOLATE Cupcakes
 I made for mom's birthday last year!


Here is mom with my brothers and me last year
at her Prairie Spring Care Home
on JUNE 29th in celebration of her 82nd birthday. 


I put a PARTY HAT on the little CHERUB- ANGEL
 in my garden to honor mom's birthday today! 


My brothers and me with mom
 at a family barbeque in our yard... summer of 2007

I have just spent about the last half an hour trying to add photos here of mom... but the blog site is acting up on me today... hmmmm!
That is so frustrating!

Anyhow I had some great ones picked, too... but after watching the wheel go round and round on the picture adding thing, I decided to just get on with the writing part of my blog!

Today is mom's first Birthday Celebration in Heaven, but I know she will enjoy it, because her and dad will be celebrating together again.

Mom was a unique lady and we shared so many wonderful mother daughter bonds. One of the many was the time we shared going to
JAZZ FESTIVALS together each year.
That became tradition for us, especially once dad passed away. I would pick her up daily and off we would go to hear some free jazz in the park together. My friend Linda from Lanigan often joined us too, and one of my pics for today was one of us 3 enjoying music in the park...
but this blog isn't letting me add it!
(you will just have to visualize it!)

Mom loved people... she loved to be a part of things... many called her a "BUSY BODY"...
she was often getting involved in stuff that really didn't concern her... but her intentions were always good!

Her and I were both the baby of our families...and we both like to be pampered and babied, too! hehehe

You knew where you stood with her... she really said it as it was... good or bad! That is what we all loved about her! We referred to her many "quirky"  little traits as "MARILOU-ISMS"!

She had to have the same table when we went out for breakfast at our favorite spot called the Coachmen. Lord help us if "HER" table was taken! I have been back to the restaurant since, and mom's favorite waitress, Chantelle, says she still worries when someone sits there thinking MARILOU won't be happy when she comes in! Then she remembers, mom won't be in anymore!

If she didn't like something she was known to give her ever famous "MARILOU EYEBROW"... which my brother BOB could imitate so well! I have pictures of that, too... which have brought us many laughs!

Mom had a heart of gold though and she wore it on her sleeve always. She would help out anyone in need and was always good at looking out for the "UNDER DOGS" in life.

Her family meant the world to her, and in the end she didn't always know us... but I know she cherished our memories.

Her final year was a struggle for her... she spiraled downhill so fast in the end... but the memories of her quality years are the fond ones we will remember forever.

Mom and Dad were a team...
 They did everything together.
Needless to say when dad died suddenly in January of 2000...
Mom was left scrambling on her own.
It was hard to see her missing him so much.

They owned the family business of
ECONOMY HARDWARE where they worked together daily for 12 years.

Mom was a hard worker in her working days...and she took every job seriously. She was a teacher, and store clerk, and
an AVON LADY extra ordinaire!

She loved Garage sales... and not only shopping at them but running them, too.

She was a collector... and had many collections from dolls, to plates to all her AVON collectables

Mom was appreciative and enthusiastic!
I know those two qualities I admired about her so much!

Both mom and dad were a huge influence on who I have become and they always showed me love support and pride. Mom was always
my biggest fan at at all the dance related things. To MOM... my dancing was the BEST!!!

Last night I attended a great concert at the Broadway Theatre here in the city.
It was a show featuring
MAURICE DROUIN and BOBBY KLASSEN
and friends and the show was entitled
NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
Maurice and Bobby both played at both of my parent's funerals, too.
I couldn't help but think of how much both
MOM and DAD would have just
LOVED that show.

I know mom and dad are likely enjoying many dances together in Heaven now. Their favorite song was always "SATIN DOLL".
I found the cutest version of it and posted it to my Face Book page today. For those of you reading this who are not face bookers... you can go to YouTube and check out
SATIN DOLL by 7 year old Emily Bear.
She plays it masterfully, and it is so cute, I know mom and dad would love it.

Yesterday at my Body Flow class at the gym, Trent, the teacher, used my favorite cool down song again which reminds me so much of my parents, every time I hear it.
It is also on YouTube and called
"One Hundred Thousand Angels"
by Bliss.
(I know I have mentioned that
one before in previous blogs!)

I was wishing I could have attached more photos here today, because the pictures are what  keep the memories alive,
however... this site won't let me in today.
 (Maybe I will try again later!)

Mom wrote this in my autograph book when I was young...

"LAUGH and the world laughs with you...
CRY and you cry alone."

Today in celebration of mom's birthday I will go enjoy more free jazz in the park at our 25th annual Jazz Festival.

Tonight I will go to a HOLLY COLE concert at the Broadway Theatre with my cousin Gwen, and we may just have to have some CHOCOLATE CAKE somewhere, too!

Here is my little poem for today for my mom!

She'd want it CHOCOLATE, 'cause it's the best,
For her it's better than the rest!
She'll want her table, her favorite one,
Without being there, she just won't have fun!
She'll want the band to play "SATIN DOLL"
That's her favorite song of them all.
Her and dad will dance up a storm,
Because for them, that is just the norm.
She will want it to be a day to celebrate,
And my wish for her, is that it is GREAT!
I'm sending MOM wishes,
blowing kisses to the sun...
I'm thinking of her birthday and
I hope she's having fun!



4 comments:

  1. Good work Hun love you...From Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure enjoyed this one, Diane. Straight from the heart. My mom was also an Avon lady for over 35 tears, and she loved, loved music.. played piano and guitar. Your poem was amazing. Terrific tribute. I liked the party had on your little garden cherub. Would have made your mom smile. Thanks for this terrific read - it was so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very heart warming blog this one was my sweet friend. Your Mom sounds like the perfect Mother for sure..I loved your tributes to her and your Dad, I'm sure they are very pleased by what you have posted and will surely have their dance all the while watching over you...
    As you know, MY mom was also an Avon lady for over 25 years, and sounds so much like 'your' mom...collections galore!! In fact, I'm STILL opening boxes that belonged to her, and low & behold...COLLECTIONS ( :
    Anyway, your blog brought back many memories of my mother and have you & your mom to thank for that..I loved it, thank you for sharing your tender heart my dear friend xo
    ...by the way, I loved the Angel with the party hat..I'm sure your mother did 'smile' at that one..( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS first of all to my hubby for coming on and making a comment... love you hun! xoxo
    Thanks to my 2 Arlene sisterfriends, too for your loyalty and comments on my blogs always... that means so much to me. We truly are connected in so many ways... such a small world it is! xoxo... (and maybe our moms are selling avon to their angel friends now up in heaven!)

    ReplyDelete