Friday, July 1, 2011

OH CANADA... Celebrating my pride!

HAPPY TAPPY CANADA DAY!!!


"When you spread around joy and happiness, then life all around becomes a grand, contagious celebration."
- Anna Trimiew


Today I am wearing my red maple leaf shirt with so much pride for our country!



SHUFFLE into a Happy Canada Day!
Here is Shuffle looking patriotic in her Canada Bandana and posing by a Canadian flag,
She was happy to have some attention on her  because usually it is all about Mariah and Beau!!!
Cousin Gwen and me out celebrating in the park at some free jazz
on my mom's birthday,  Wednesday, June 29th, 2011


Here I am with local favorites, Maurice Drouin and Bobby Klassen.
These two artists played at both parents funerals... and they played at the
free jazz in the park on mom's first birthday in Heaven too!


Here is HOLLY COLE... a CANADIAN MUSICAL TREASURE!
I loved that she was wearing polka dots, too...( I'm sure for me!!! hehehe)
This concert was great and Gwen and I went to it on the evening of mom's birthday. 


Here is Beau yesterday when we picked him and Mariah up for some free Jazzin.
Jana called him "TROUBLE" as he was in Mariah's room
getting into mischief and eating a necklace of hers!
I love that Mariah's room is covered in polka dots... hehehe... wonder who she got that love from!


Here is Mariah before we left for jazz yesterday.
She had some "Dorothy" sparkly red shoes on that she borrowed from her friend
She didn't wear them to the park, though! 


Here is Brian with the kids in the free stage park yesterday enjoying  Jazz.


Here is Mariah running back  after a little dance performance she gave in front of the stage.
She is a free spirit who loves to perform, and
she wanted to introduce her brother to the singer in the band, too! 


Here is Nels when he picked up the kids yesterday. Beau had so much sunscreen  in his hair...
we styled it into a punk hair do... Colin might appreciate this one!!!



Here is the beautiful Saskatoon skyline on Wednesday night after 9 PM
when Gwen and I walked from the Broadway Theatre following the
 "Holly Cole" concert, to the riverbank for more free jazz! 


Here is Jana with Mariah and her little friend, Ty, on the boat on wednesday when they were out to Blackstrap for a little boating experience... hot but windy day!

Well this has been a fun week of JAZZIN IT UP for me... as I've mentioned in my few previous blogs. This is truly a favorite time of the year for me... and today we celebrate not only JAZZ but our BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY as well.

I am a person with lots of pride, therefore it isn't surprising that I am boasting about our city and country today.

On Wednesday, it was mom's first birthday in Heaven. I did up my blog and felt I was a bit rushed to pay tribute to her the way I wanted to, but mostly the blog was acting up and wouldn't allow my photos to add easily.

None the less I celebrated mom all day as I know she would have had she been here still. Very cool that the very first song I heard in the free noon hour concert at the jazz festival was "SATIN DOLL"(as if requested from heaven!) played by the Bill Watson Quartet, and sung by SKIP KUTZ. This is mom and dad's favorite song... so how co-incidental was that.
Mom and dad also knew that band.

Later in the park
BOBBY KLASSEN and MAURICE DROUIN, mom and dad's favorite local artists
( who also played at both their funerals)
Did a concert as back up for a singer named DONNA HAY. She sang the first song played at both my parent's funerals...
Charlie Chaplin's classic "SMILE".

I did that concert in the park with my cousin Gwen and after we had a jazz burger...
we headed for a starbucks on our way to the HOLLY COLE Show at the Broadway Theatre.
Anyone who has not seen one of her concerts should try to get to one. She is truly one of CANADA'S finest Musical Treasures. She is the type of artist who is much better in person
than on CD's.
Her animation and wonderful vocal range and versatility are amazing and
well worth the ticket price.

Her flight was late and therefore so was her concert. Due to the fact they had 2 sold out concerts in a row, she had to cut the first one a bit short... but it was awesome none the less.

Gwen and I grabbed an ice cream cone of a chocolate variety, to celebrate mom,
 and walked down the bridge after the Holly Cole show. It was so nice out and we loved the visit and great sights along the way.

Yesterday we took the grandkiddies to hear more jazz in the park. Mariah loves to get up and dance in front of the crowd.
She loves when other little dancer friends
play with her there, too.

Today we have Beau while Jana, Nels and Mariah take  our boat out to a friends cabin for the day.

We will take Beau to the Jazz free stage and maybe later to the Canada day celebrations at another park. My brother Brian will be performing there with his
MAGIC BAND there today.

Tomorrow we are off to a beautiful lake to celebrate a wedding of friend's of ours...
and the celebrations continue!

Oh Canada... I just cannot hide...
All of my special CANADIAN PRIDE!
I love this country... because it's the best,
I think it's better than all of the rest!
I'm also so proud of Saskatoon, too.
For me there is always lots to do.
It's perfect for me, in every way,
Especially in summer, on a
JAZZ IT UP day!
Today the flags are waving all around...
RED MAPLE LEAVES are easy to be found!
"OH CANADA, OUR HOME
AND NATIVE LAND"
I am PROUD to say... that it is oh so grand!

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful blog, full of Canadian pride, I love it for sure! Great photos of everyone..it's nice to see you with your jazz 'favorites' too!(nice sky line! loved that one..:) It's so nice to hear you pay tribute to your Mom who can't be with you..she is no doubt watching over you enjoying the music she once loved to share with you..that made my heart feel good too! Thank you for sharing this wonderful music, jazz, and love filled blog, it was a great one...like all the rest were too...keep on blogging my sweet friend..xo ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for your kind sweet words...and for tapping in to read my blog, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I ever miss this - terrific one, again. Made me proud to be a Canadian, proud to be your friend!! Pictures are terrific. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete