Friday, June 17, 2011

MY DEAR DAD!

A FATHER is neither an anchor to hold us back, nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way. - Author Unknown


As I sit down to write a tribute to my dad I am drinking my morning coffee out of the 
"KEEP IT SIMPLE" mug. 


My morning happy heart tip on my oatmeal pack said this...
"Have fun. Laughter is good medicine"


I would say all of those messages sum up my dad's philosophy very well!



This picture of my dad and me dancing in my studio holds a fond memory for me!
This was on my parents 50th "GOLDEN" Wedding Anniversary Celebration, August 24th, 1999.
Us kids decided to give each parent a GOLD medal to not only signify the GOLDEN anniversary,
but to also represent what "AWARD WINNING" role models they were as
husband and wife, parents and grandparents.
This picture has a prominent spot on my fridge, too, so  I see this one daily!



This is the picture of dad used for his obit and memorial.
I have this photo box displayed in my living room and see it everyday and have a flood of fond memories of that wonderful smile and personality to go with it that always shone through.


Here is a blast from the past... a very faded family pic from when I was 17.
We were always a very close knit family thanks to the upbringing of my very special parents.


Here is my dad hanging the first DIANE WILL DANCE STUDIO  sign on the studio door
in August of 1974.  He was a prominent part of my studio success.
Too bad the quality of this photo is so fuzzy... but the memory is still very clear.


Another cherished memory of my dad dancing with me at my wedding in November of 1976.
My dad was a super dancer!


Here is a picture so typical of my dad... sitting down to play a few tunes on the piano.
Hardly a day went by when he didn't play it, he was so musical. 


Another (FUZZY Quality pic)... but Dad always dressed as a clown to sell apples for the annual KIWANIS APPLE DAY.
Here is a cute one of him "CLOWNING AROUND" with my two kids Colin and Jana .
My dad was a wonderful GRANDPA as well !


My very last pic taken with my dad... bitter sweet.
My dad laughed at our little pug, MOCHA!
I can still hear his laugh as I look at this photo. 


A moment of breaking into dance in my kitchen. We had many of those type of memories! 


A lovely photo of my parents , which also hangs in my living room to this day.
 They were such a team...and such loving parents to us kids growing up.
I am comforted knowing that mom and dad are now reunited in heaven again.

As we head toward FATHER'S DAY...
I am thinking of my dad, ROY, the BEST DAD a girl could ever hope for.
He was perfect, especially in my eyes.

I honestly do not think he had an enemy in the world.  He was a well liked and respected man, for sure.  He was just the right balance of sweet, kind, intelligent, polite, funny, creative, thoughtful, neat, positive, appreciative, musical, helpful, quick witted, organized,
... and the list could go on and on!

What I loved about my dad is he always seemed to be genuinely interested in my life.  There are so few people like that out there, and he was just a one of a kind. He would never say a mean thing to anyone or about them either.

He was simply a quality type of guy. He was very practical, doing everything in life in moderation. He did nothing to excess.
He didn't need high end stuff to get by...
he was very content with simplicity.

He remained happy always and one couldn't help but be that way when in his presence.  He laughed a lot, and had a contagious laugh that made you want to join in!

He would never ever belittle anyone.  He was so very tactful always and thought things through carefully before speaking.  He would never want to hurt anyone by anything he said or did.

When I was a kid, he was a good disciplinarian. I always knew exactly where I stood.  I never wanted to do anything to let either one of my parents down.  I admire that trait in my parents, they could instill such great morals and values
in us growing up.

My dad was very creative.  He was good at writing things such as poetry, speeches, tributes, etc.
He had a big influence on me there.
His handwriting was unique, too, and lots of people comment on it to this day.

Dad was super musical, he played the piano mostly by ear, but could read music as well.
We could sing a song for him and he could instantly play it.  I think my brother Brian got his musical skills... (and his looks, too)!

My dad was a major help around my studio back in the dancing days.  He put the taps on the shoes of every tapper in my studio until his passing in 2000.  No one could do that better than him!  He did many things to aid in the studio success throughout it's years of operation, from bookwork, to building props, to any repairs in and around the studio.
I  then closed my studio 2 years after
dad passed away.

He was very into sports as well, especially hockey and golf.  He played both of those right until the end.  Infact he played hockey the day before he passed away suddenly.

He was very inventive as well as creative.  He made several pieces of furniture out of broken hockey sticks, as he hated to see
good wood go to waste!

I planted a lilac bush in the front and back of my house in dad's honor following his passing. He always took pride in their yard and loved their lilac bushes, too.

He was a creature of habit, living by a routine.  He was always known for being very organized. He always had a list of to-dos for every day and followed through with them crossing them off as they got accomplished!

His favorite color was RED, which is a passionate color.  I decided early on in life to make it my favorite color, too.  It is a vibrant color.  I think dad could not see all colors as he was a bit color blind... but he knew RED!

My dad is missed by many, myself included.
He DANCES on in my heart daily.
I THANK him for the strong influence
he had on my life.
He taught me so much, but most importantly to ...

Always look up with a smile,
Never look down with a frown,
For it takes a good fish to swim up a stream ,
And any old fish can swim down!

That was his verse written in my autograph book when I was 10, and not only did this verse make an impact on me...
it is a philosophy I have tried to
live by ever since!

I have comfort in knowing mom and dad are happily dancing in heaven  together again.
Likely to their favorite song...
"SATIN DOLL!"

Thanks for the memories DAD...
I will always cherish  and love you!
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Here is a poem that I put in the memoriams in
the news paper in dad's honor.
On the tenth anniversary of his passing...
Jan. 2, 2010

He was the best, he was so dear,
I miss my dad and wish he was here.
10 years ago he was needed above,
They must have needed his fine kind of love.
Although he is gone, he is always missed,
He'll DANCE on in my heart,
and be secretly kissed.
He set an example, that was second to none,
When it came to fine people ,
HE was just number one!
He left all too sudden, and it was so sad...
But he's CHERISHED forever,
I LOVE him,
MY DAD!

8 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post about your dad, Diane!! You are amazing!! Hope you have a wonderful Father's Day weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Talia, for commenting. My dad was as special as I said he was and more... thanks for the father's day wishes... hope you have a fab Father's day too. Loved your blog today, too!... Your little family is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great blog and a wonderful tribute to your Dad Diane. It made my old heart feel good. I've not known you for that long, but it seems that you have many of your father's wonderful qualities. I love your poem also..very nice indeed..
    I hope you have a great Father's Day weekend, filled with many more happy tappy memories...thank you for sharing your most gracious & tender Father's Day tribute..I LOVED it!! xo ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Arleena/ Arlene!
    I hope I acquired some of my dad's traits, thanks for saying so! I know I truly am a blend of both my parents... but my dad was truly a wanderful guy for sure. Thanks, too for the Father's day Wishes as well...and back at you! xo
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Diane..I had to 'come back' to view the great photos again & to mention how much I enjoyed reading your blog..I LOVE the 'old' photo of you & your family..the 70's were great for sure..heehee ..all of the photos were lovely (& I know you always leave a comment afterwards :) so thanks again for sharing your happy tappy love with me...Have a Happy Father's Day.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Arleena... I do appreciate your comments always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for introducing me to your dad. I feel like I know him. Our dads had so much in common. They both walked gently and kindly, never shouting, but whispering their soft way through life and lives. He sparkles and shines on in and through you. Thank you for this very special tribute. I read it through tears, that is the measure of a good writer.. I felt what your heart was saying. Good stuff.. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much... I hope I have acquired many of my dad's wonderful traits, too... he truly was special that is for sure! I love m him and think of him every day! thanks for reading this blog... it was a fun one for me to write and one that meant a lot to me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete